My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1967 Diesel Syncro 4020 that has been dismantled down to engine/drivetrain intact.
It is a loss of interest due to medical issues and wish to find a starting point as to what this great machine is worth
to sell to someone willing to take the reigns and put her back together.
All stripped down parts that were purchaseable new from JD were (wrapped,etc, see pics)
Any parts that were discontinued were restored to new condition except cab,& did retain some old parts that were removed.
the only thing missing is the tires and a bolt or two, & I have all manuals including where all parts go, right down to nuts & bolts. Any ideas as a price starting point?

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Suggest you post in the "THE BIG BOYS"-- BIG JOHN DEERES or ask a Moderator to move for you.:tango_face_angel:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I grew up driving a 4020 diesel syncro. I've got a soft spot in my heart for them, and would love to own one some day.

That said, you ask a very tough question. I suspect you'd get more money selling the parts individually. If I came across something like this locally, it would have to be pretty inexpensive considering the cost of tires,the time spent putting everything back together, and the potential headaches. Especially since it's a 7-9,000 dollar tractor when complete.

That's probably not a lot of help, you might see if there are any 4020 groups on FB that might be able to help out.

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
Well dang, I would love to have that thing as we are looking to buy a farmette in the next 5 years. I grew up driving one of those too. Man that thing would eat up the 50HP Foton 4x4 tractor my dad paid $19K for. And yes we are moving close to him so I can use his tractor. :tango_face_wink:

I don't have my new garage built yet, I'm buying a Harley Friday, and my wife would kill me. LOL................. :tango_face_grin:

While I don't agree with parting it out one bit, it may be your best option. Yes put it in the "big boys" section here. Look around the net and see if you can find a big boys JD site to post it on.

I really wish I had the space and money to buy it. where are you located at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skip the Harley and buy the Deere:tango_face_devil::tango_face_grin:
OMG you guys!!! Tractor is in Ulster, PA 18850, will post thread in other forums as suggested, I mean granted
it has to be re-assembled, any mechanic who can read can do it, all the manuals detail where everything goes right down to the correct size nuts and bolts with part#'s so re-assembly shoudn't be a big factor in price considering the price of all the new JD parts involved would surmise

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Katmandude
I'll suggest you put a free classified &/or photo ad on Yesterday'stractors.com. Depending on price you decide on I'll bet you can sell it as is. I sold a non-running 4020 on that site I mentioned plus some other JD tractors.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You might also try New Ag Talk, in the Machinery section. That's a forum dedicated to farmers, lots and lots of knowledge there. They also have a free classifieds.

You are too far from me, but it's a project I'd swing at if the price was right and it was near by. But you are too far away to make it viable. Good luck! Hope you find someone who wants to put it all together and make it a running tractor again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might also try New Ag Talk, in the Machinery section. That's a forum dedicated to farmers, lots and lots of knowledge there. They also have a free classifieds.

You are too far from me, but it's a project I'd swing at if the price was right and it was near by. But you are too far away to make it viable. Good luck! Hope you find someone who wants to put it all together and make it a running tractor again.
I listed in Ag Talk Machinery forum, wow zero responses so far!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I noticed you opened a thread on YT discussion forum BUT I didn't see an ad in the free classified or photo ad section. Location of tractor/parts & ""price"" will have on large bearing on prospective purchaser interest.

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
Skip the Harley and buy the Deere:tango_face_devil::tango_face_grin:
Too late Harley is bought. :tango_face_devil:

Dang man you are way out of the way for me to come get that thing and my wife laughed with that "no way" laugh when I told her about this. I'm 3.5 hrs from you and where I would want to take it to is another 3.5 hrs

But I would love to have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed you opened a thread on YT discussion forum BUT I didn't see an ad in the free classified or photo ad section. Location of tractor/parts & ""price"" will have on large bearing on prospective purchaser interest.
Thank you sir BUT...

This is why I need a starting point on price to ask!! I have listed tractor on Facebook MarketPlace for minimum bid of a dollar and got inundated with "how much do you want for it" and I'll take it if the price is right" Etc.to the point I had to remove it as I didn't have all the parts in one placeto take multiple pictures to show everthing together. I am not going there again without a respectable starting point from a knowledgeable mechanic/restorer. It is fair to say that folks want something dang well for free, oh and then they have no problem putting in the effort then!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Too late Harley is bought. :tango_face_devil:

Dang man you are way out of the way for me to come get that thing and my wife laughed with that "no way" laugh when I told her about this. I'm 3.5 hrs from you and where I would want to take it to is another 3.5 hrs

But I would love to have it.

I drove about 4 hours to buy my 2030, then trailer it home took about 5 hours.
Go for it, if you can get past "no way wife" :tango_face_grin:

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
I drove about 4 hours to buy my 2030, then trailer it home took about 5 hours.
Go for it, if you can get past "no way wife" :tango_face_grin:
After spending $6K on the Harley it's not an option. But man would I love to have that and put my dad china crap to shame. :tango_face_devil:

But we did take a weekend trip to the mountains on the bike and she loves it! so a happy wife is a happy life. :tango_face_wink:

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
Nice looking Harley for $6K!
Looks like it came off the showroom floor and runs like a dream. It took some getting used to though since I'm used to a sporty. It is one of the highest sitting bikes Harley makes. Figures one that fits what we need and it's top heavy. While I have short legs and bad knees on top of that..................

And yeah this is the tag they gave me............. Really! :sidelaugh

Sorry for hijacking catmandude. :tango_face_sad:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts