My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new water temp guage in my 1966 4020 diesel / I tested the guage before I put it in / works perfect
drained some antifreeze/put guage in/ put back antifreeze / ran tractor for a good 4 miles and guage never moved / what did I do wrong??
thanks for any response
steve ruppert

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Broke the cap tube. Crushed the cap tube by over tightening the secondary nut. Or wrong unit for tractor and the bulb was crushed when it was tightened in the block

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was it a electric or mechanical gauge? Is it cold where your at, most diesels take a while to get warm. Maybe your thermostat is bad and stuck open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is the proper mechanical guage / i replaced both thermostats / I did not overtighten by a long shot so no crushing involved / the original block threaded nut stayed and just used the new secondary nut with a small amount of pipe dope with just snugging it up

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
If you have a temperature gun a check at the gauge bulb will give an indication if the gauge is working or not. 4 miles going down the road with no load may not be warming it up.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think at an ambient temp of 40 one would need to operate engine longer with a load or cover side screens with something to get engine coolant very warm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts