My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 4018 locally. Sat for six plus years. Added gas and it started right up. Got it running to drive off of ramp from truck. Notice major fluid leak when in forward travel mode. It dumped tank after travelling 60 - 70 feet.

Any ideas whats busted, cracked or loose. From looking at tech drawings it may be tube from travel valve to motor. Does not seem to have leaked whilst sitting still at idle.

I pressure washed tractor but from looking at pics I took underneath I need to get that area cleaned before seeing anything specific. This machine had a plastic under belly pan which my same era('89-91) 3018 did not come with. Also had nice mouse nest combined with oil was attractive mush.LOL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't loose that belly pan it is a NECESSARY part of the cooling system for that model of tractor.

The lines from the main valve to the motor should be steel and not as likely that they failed. The hydro reserve tank is plastic as are the tank nipples . Which can get soft and allow the rubber hoses that are clamped to them to come off. That will dump oil REAL fast. later models they put steel sleeves and springs inside the tank nipples to strengthen them.

I hang out on the case colt ingersoll forum and there are a number of discussion of that like this one:

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking further it appears to be the high pressure line going from pump to travel valve. This same hose failed on my 3018 at about same hours..aprox. 700 hrs. Have one on order today.

Seller stated tractor needed new clutch. I assumed he meant pto electric but that works fine. But seeing all the oil soaked grass buried behind in the deck shroud they must have run it repeatedly dumping more oil in resivore and pump gulping air slips like a bad clutch. Hose much less than pto so good on that.

SD thanks for opinion on baffle for cooling. I washed it up along with balance of mower. Sat in a barn for six years ...nasty. 3018 could benefit from one it would seem. Bet they don't exist in inventory anymore.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the pump to valve hose. That and and a battery and it runs well. Much better idle than my 3018.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts