My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled engine out .Rear seal was out. Cleaning up the mess. Has 825 hrs on it. Any suggestions on doing anything else to it while it is out? Maybe head gaskets. One maybe leaking oil. Better safe then sorry. Don't know if they had issues with them or not? I'm sure someone knows more about them then me. Thanks for advice and input.

·
Hemlock Case Guy
315 Posts
For the best help with the Vanguard engine, an engine forum would give you the best result.

I have heard of head gasket issues. Never heard of main seal issues. I have replaced the breather hose. It needs to not be cracked or hard or else the whole engine will be covered in oil.

Then after that, a completely clean carb is needed or it runs lean. And when it runs lean it is running hot. It is a CARB compliant engine and has zero margins for a dirty carb.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Pulled engine out .Rear seal was out. Cleaning up the mess. Has 825 hrs on it. Any suggestions on doing anything else to it while it is out? Maybe head gaskets. One maybe leaking oil. Better safe then sorry. Don't know if they had issues with them or not? I'm sure someone knows more about them then me. Thanks for advice and input.
I had to change Cub 1641 208.JPG both seals on the Vanguard in my Cub 1641. The dipstick tube bushing was also bad so I would go ahead and change that while your at it.
Cannon

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done some research going to redo all gaskets one head gasket leaking and valve job they was leaking but no blow by at bottom end but going to put rings in since that close. It will be ready for mowing. Have to use 4020 for snow removal. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts