My Tractor Forum banner

4016 ran great, now it floods out.

1925 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  smokehouseman
My 4016 ran great until I pulled it outside last night now it won't start again. It is flooded I let it set over night and still the same thing. I have plenty of spark but plugs are soaked with gas, and won't fire. I'm not to sure what to do on the carbs on these, wether it needs a rebuild or the float set.

Thanks, Mark
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
If this showed up suddenly after having run fine, then reasonable chance some contamination is in the float needle seat.

Brian
Sounds like a float stuck. Try lightly tapping on the bowl of the carb.
If you have it flooded badly pull the plugs and dry them. Turn over the engine and pump the fuel out of the cylinders. Then take your trusty oil can and squirt a bit into each cylinder. When you flood a motor badly you wash all the oil away and compression really suffers. The oil will bring back the compression and it should fire up.
See less See more
Then take your trusty oil can and squirt a bit into each cylinder
Do they even MAKE "Trusty oil cans" anymore?
AND... and this is going to sound DUMB.... what oil do you put IN the can?
No...I'm NOT kidding! Just motor oil? Because I always used to use my old man's oil can for odd lube applications but I Personally do not have one! I would LIKE one though...but never see them for sale (maybe I am not looking hard enough!).
You certainly would not want to use something like WD40 in a cylinder correct?
** I bet im not the only one who has thoughts like these!**
See less See more
I buy bulk supplies through Fastenal sometimes ... bet places like Sears have them too ... or maybe everywhere. Still an extremely handy tool to have around.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0425903&ucst=t

And yes ... to briefly set the rings with lube, use motor oil. Not much though and remember these are small pistons/cylinders.

Brian
See less See more
Thanks, guys I'll try this out tonight and see if I can get it to fire back up. I thought the same thing creekhed, where to find a oil can at. I never see them around any more.
Do they even MAKE "Trusty oil cans" anymore?
AND... and this is going to sound DUMB.... what oil do you put IN the can?
No...I'm NOT kidding! Just motor oil? Because I always used to use my old man's oil can for odd lube applications but I Personally do not have one! I would LIKE one though...but never see them for sale (maybe I am not looking hard enough!).
You certainly would not want to use something like WD40 in a cylinder correct?
** I bet im not the only one who has thoughts like these!**
Use motor oil only. And just a bit. You can see how much by pumping a bit on a rag.
I use the oil can my dad gave me. He bought it in the 50's. WD40 is not a lubricant.
I was taught this tip as an apprentice mechanic when I worked at a large GM dealer back in the 80's. On a cold day we could have as many as 40 flooded cars being towed in.
See less See more
Thanks ricohman, that trick worked dryed the plugs off a shot of oil and it fired right up thanks again
Pull the dipstick and smell the oil. If it smells anything like gas change the oil. Even if it doesn't smell like gas you might want to change the oil.
My late 80s JD 524 walk behind snowblower has a 7hp Tecumseh that was new around 08 or 09 and got little use until the winter of 10/11. It is quite sensitive to flooding. I changed to a new E3 plug, no start. Changed oil,,, started right up.
See less See more
I changed the oil just to be safe oil is cheap compared to a engine. It didn't smell like it had any gas in it but better safe than sorry.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.