My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am stumped and would appreciate some advice.

Yesterday I was using my Ingersoll 4016 in the yard (running just fine) and I ended up running it very low on fuel. The only gas I had was old and I ended up just putting a small amount in it to get the tractor back up to the shop. When I restarted the tractor, it was running OK, after a minute or 2 it was a little rough probably due to the old fuel. Just as I pulled into the shop, the tractor died. (the engine has 850 hrs on it)

I went and got some new fuel, drained the tank, took the top off the carb and cleaned it out. Turned the engine over until clean fuel came into the carb, then I put the top of the carb back together. It did not start, so I pulled the plugs and dried them out and also checked to be sure that both had spark, no problem. Now it still does not start.

I've already kicked myself for putting the old gas in it, Now what??
(I posted this over in the small engine forum, however I typically see engine questions in this forum also)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Spray some new fuel into the carb throat when turning the engine over. If it starts then you have a dirty carb issue. If it doesn't start, you have a spark issue.

:trink40:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spray some new fuel into the carb throat when turning the engine over. If it starts then you have a dirty carb issue. If it doesn't start, you have a spark issue.

:trink40:
I just installed new plugs, they both have spark. The engine turns over without any sign of trying to fire up. I took of the air cleaner and put a few drops of good fuel down the carb, still nothing.

Now I'm really stumped...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would start from scratch. Take the plugs out and crank the engine to clear any possibility of old gas/flood situation.

Reinstall the plugs. Turn the key on while listening for the antibackfire solenoid click. If you don't hear it, place your finger on the carb and feel for the movement. If it should be sticking or inop, there will be no fuel flow through the main jet.

Assuming all is well here, put a little, like a teaspoon, of gas or maybe a shot of starting fluid down the carb and try to start

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
good point on compression, Vanguards require periodic valve adjustment anyway, now would be a good time to pull the valve covers and make sure all is well and do a compression check after setting the valves.

Never heard of one getting so bad it won't start, esp. when it was running then died. But, anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Two things you could do. First, make sure the throttle butterfly is open, not resting against the idle screw. Second, since it's so easy, pull the valve covers and watch the valves, early Vanguards had rocker arms that were prone to failure. It's possible the bad gas gave you some stuck valves, but I can't see that happening that quickly. I saw this happen to a Honda V-twin I had, but it took about a week for the old gas to poison it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I have found the problem and I'm still not clear on how it happened...

I did not have any compression so I pulled the valve covers. 1 push rod from each cylinder had come off the rocker. All 4 push rods are straight, nothing is bent. (I bought this tractor about 11 months ago and I have never pulled a valve cover on it before.) I re-assembled the rocker arms and adjusted the valves. turned the engine over several times and checked the adjustment again. It had over 100 lbs of compression in each cylinder and it started right up after I put the plugs in. After the engine was warmed up, I ran it around for a few minutes and them mowed with it for about 45 minutes before it got dark.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions... it looks like "Compression" is still a very important factor...:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The bad gas may have left some deposits on the intake valve stems that kept the valves from closing quickly and let the push rods fall to the side.

As an precaution, I would run some Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam in the next tank of gas to clean/lubricate the valve stems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bad gas may have left some deposits on the intake valve stems that kept the valves from closing quickly and let the push rods fall to the side.

As an precaution, I would run some Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam in the next tank of gas to clean/lubricate the valve stems.
antiqueetc, The odd thing is that I did not run the old gas in the tractor for more than 10 minutes... I will be adding some Seafoam to the fuel before I use it again. Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
583 Posts
Which pushrods had come loose?? Vanguards do have a compression release type valve actuating system for easier starting the affects of which go away as soon as some RPM is built up. Perhaps all it needed was a valve adjustment. There is a special procedure for adjusting the valves on a Vanguard and other overhead valve Briggs & Stratton engines spelled out in the service manuals.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...

Added some Seafoam to the tank before I used the tractor again and mowed for about and hour after work on Tues before it was getting dark. Started very easy and ran great. It seems like the valve adjustment was the issue and the bad gas just added to the problem.

Since I have owned this tractor, when I engaged the 60" deck, the engine would drop RPM's and have a hesitation before it smoothed out again. After buying this about a year ago, I had replaced all of the bearings in the deck along with installing a new spindle (thank you Brian...) and had everything adjusted before I ever used the tractor for the first time. Now when I engage the deck it is a much smoother transition. Life is Good...

Thank you to everyone for the comments and suggestions. MTF is a great community. :thThumbsU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts