My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got in a 4000 Ford for parts. It's a gas, selectamatic, so it's a total dog! :ROF The PO thought it had a blown head gasket because it had prestone in one cylinder, but more likely it has a cylinder rusted through, pretty common with these engines.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Been meaning to ask for a while: selectamatic? Is that like the select-a-speeds? Drove a Roadless based on a 5000 Select-a-speed once some time ago. Quite clever for it's time...
Cheers, Loopy.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loopy, I believe you are correct, "select-o-speed" is the correct name, and yes they were pretty ingenious at the time, but at this age are very expensive to repair.

Argee, the block can be bored and sleeved, and could be used for a diesel engine, but for the most part is scrap because other 4000 owners would have a block that could be bored.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I always thought that transmission idea was about 30 years ahead of its time (at least as far as the UK market was concerned - we breed particularly thick farmers btw, especially those in SW Scotland). Put it on the market now, noone would bat an eyelid...
Never did much like Ford (known in the local trade either as Fix or repair daily or Found on rubbish dump) tractors unfortunately...
Cheers, Loopy.

·
ol'bill
11 Posts
I always thought that transmission idea was about 30 years ahead of its time (at least as far as the UK market was concerned - we breed particularly thick farmers btw, especially those in SW Scotland). Put it on the market now, noone would bat an eyelid...
Never did much like Ford (known in the local trade either as Fix or repair daily or Found on rubbish dump) tractors unfortunately...
Cheers, Loopy.
I have a 1975 model 3000,select-o-speed that my Dad bought with a couple hours on it in early 1976.Its never gave any problem except replacing the shift cable once.Dad died in May 2006 and I still use it quite a bit.It looks a little raggedy cause we live on a farm and it was used "hard". I'm gonna put new fenders and a new grill on it and paint it soon. Have a great day,and I turned 49 today on june 12th,not the young gun I was when the 3000 was new,lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts