My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just brought home a 450 which needs a little TLC, no surprise, but finding parts? Need the rod ( 14721), and clevis (14719) that goes from the lift assit to the rear lift any help much appreciated.
Serial: 75248 and the Onan is a CCKA spec MS/2043G serial: 1070261370

Attachments

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks guys - looks like I need to sit down and do another update.

Paul, are you sure that's an "8" on the end and not an "A"? That serial number doesn't make any sense for a rider, unless the advance casting was swapped over from a later walkbehind. Your engine serial number is right in line to make it a late '70 or possibly an early '71, which makes sense.

The rod and clevis are the parts that are frequently missing on the 450, as many people pulled them off over the years to pull a trailer or something else that required a fixed drawbar. I have two 400-series machines with liftable hitches but only one lift rod.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for looking up the serial number. I'll look this week to see if it is an "8" or "A"
The Onan sounds very good, may have a starter issue. I just hope the clutches are ok.
By the way do you know anyone who has put a trencher attachment on the front of these riders? I like the brakes and two speed pto so I thought the trencher would work well? maybe dreaming...?

·
Gravely1964
3,972 Posts
Thanks for looking up the serial number. I'll look this week to see if it is an "8" or "A"
The Onan sounds very good, may have a starter issue. I just hope the clutches are ok.
By the way do you know anyone who has put a trencher attachment on the front of these riders? I like the brakes and two speed pto so I thought the trencher would work well? maybe dreaming...?
There almost to fast to run the rotary plow! My guess is dreaming a bit, but try it and let us know :fing32:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently brought home a Gravely 424. I bought it as a parts machine ,but am considering restoring it. It is a 1967 model with the gas tank near the dash and the battery in the front. It has a 10HP Kohler with a starter/generator. It has a serial # 11113. How were these numbers assigned?
Is this tractor # 11 thousand one hundred 13? I'm told that 1967 was the first year for the 424. Surely they wouldn't have built over 11,000 of just this model. Maybe someone can shed some light on this ? I also need to know if the key switch is something special to this unit. According to the wiring schematic one of the three poles is marked "unused" on the drawing. My switch does not show continuity in any position, thus I assume it is defective.
Is it not simply an on/off switch? Can I therefore just replace it with a 2 pole on off switch? If anyone can help me , it will be most appreciated.
I also have an 816 that I've restored and retired that I'm very proud of . I also have an 8102 that I mowed with for 20 years. It too will be restored and retired. I am not very good at computer things so I don't know if I did this right. If you're reading it, then I guess I stumbled through.
Thanks,
Sky

·
Registered
257 Posts
last month, just getting around to this posting..I brought a 424 with serial number J- 23707. Has a tool "bin" under the seat... VERY RARE ? :thThumbsU I'll post a couple of pictures. Not sure whether to rebuild or what to do? :dunno:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,855 Posts
Nice save! Although not 100 percent sure, I believe that most if not all 400 series tractors came with tool bins. A good many have been removed, repurposed, lost, or discarded to the point that survivors are pretty rare. They do occasionally show up on ebay.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I just recently brought home a Gravely 424. I bought it as a parts machine ,but am considering restoring it. It is a 1967 model with the gas tank near the dash and the battery in the front. It has a 10HP Kohler with a starter/generator. It has a serial # 11113. How were these numbers assigned?
At first, serial numbers were shared with walkbehinds for a few years. The number wasn't the total produced so far for a given year - They just kept getting larger and larger over time, at least until Gravely changed the numbering scheme about 15 years down the road.

Nice save! Although not 100 percent sure, I believe that most if not all 400 series tractors came with tool bins. A good many have been removed, repurposed, lost, or discarded to the point that survivors are pretty rare. They do occasionally show up on ebay.
There are plenty of tool bins still out there. I think it may have been an option on the 424 at least toward the end, but I believe the 430/432/450 all had them. Both my 432 and 450 have them.

I need life to slow down so I can add everyone's serial numbers to this spreadsheet!

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
At first, serial numbers were shared with walkbehinds for a few years. The number wasn't the total produced so far for a given year - They just kept getting larger and larger over time, at least until Gravely changed the numbering scheme about 15 years down the road.

There are plenty of tool bins still out there. I think it may have been an option on the 424 at least toward the end, but I believe the 430/432/450 all had them. Both my 432 and 450 have them.

I need life to slow down so I can add everyone's serial numbers to this spreadsheet!
Nope, all 450s did not have them. No room under the seat pan on mine. ;)

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,972 Posts
Just going back over this thread. The tag on the 71 should read 7542A as no known 4-w tractors carried J tags below 10000.
71 im pretty sure the A would be there.

P1010017.JPG 68 being painted yeah sure

61 - 71 of 71 Posts