My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the hydrostat oil filter and i lost some oil and need to replace it. I do not have an owners manual to look in. Is it the JD hygaurd transmission and hydraulic oil?
and where do ya fill it at? the only place at the back of the tractor i see is a plug by the fitting where the sight tube is, but it is at the bottom of the tube?

Thanks
Neal

·
Registered
39 Posts
the sight tube fitting will have a plug type fitting on it fill through it

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the hy-guard the right oil for the hydrostat? the oil in it now has redish tint and doesnt smell burnt. The new hy-guard i have at home is clear

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
400's either use hygard low-vis or Type F trans fluid. If it's red then it appears you have the trans fluid in it. I would not mix the two as the manual says you shouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
The model 400 can use either Hy-Gard or HY-Gard Low Viscosity according to the Deere fluid capacity Chart and that’s 5.5quart capacity :thThumbsU

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help fellas

·
Registered
459 Posts
the manual it will say for the Rear end Ford Type F transmission fluid or John Deere All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid.

I was told by 2 Local John Deere Dealers that the Ford Type F isn't as good. and that they no longer make the John Deere All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid.

But they Make John Deere ........Hy-Gard™ Hydraulic/Transmission Oil or Low-Viscosity Hyguard. They told me to use Low-Viscosity Hyguard as it's the direct replacement to the old All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid.

I'd go to your local dealer and find someone who knows about the old Deere's and if you live in Texas or something perhaps something else is necessary.
But that should be the right fuid. Here is a john deere link to the oils they use.
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/parts/batteries_and_fluids/maintenance_fluids/oils/oils.page?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
the manual it will say for the Rear end Ford Type F transmission fluid or John Deere All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid.

I was told by 2 Local John Deere Dealers that the Ford Type F isn't as good. and that they no longer make the John Deere All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid.

But they Make John Deere ........Hy-Gard™ Hydraulic/Transmission Oil or Low-Viscosity Hyguard. They told me to use Low-Viscosity Hyguard as it's the direct replacement to the old All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid.

I'd go to your local dealer and find someone who knows about the old Deere's and if you live in Texas or something perhaps something else is necessary.
But that should be the right fuid. Here is a john deere link to the oils they use.
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/parts/batteries_and_fluids/maintenance_fluids/oils/oils.page?
Yes, they are going to tell you Hy-gard, they sell it and don't sell Type F fluid. I use the low vis Hy-gard but there are plenty of folks on here that use Type- F without issues. :fing32:

·
22,328 Posts
Yes, they are going to tell you Hy-gard, they sell it and don't sell Type F fluid. I use the low vis Hy-gard but there are plenty of folks on here that use Type- F without issues. :fing32:
Also Type- A (Dexron) and motor oil. Sundstrand states that most quality hydraulic fluids are acceptable.

All weather hydraulic fluid?? You don't see too many mobile hydraulic systems that don't operate in all weather conditions.

The prefix "AW" for hydraulic fluids stands for "anti-wear", not "all weather".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts