My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add a pair of work lights to my loader. Is there a factory plug in for them, or are people tapping the headlight circuit?

Thanks.

--Alex

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,637 Posts
I'd like to add a pair of work lights to my loader. Is there a factory plug in for them, or are people tapping the headlight circuit?

Thanks.

--Alex
I put work lights on top of the "goal posts" on my 45 loader, and just tapped into the headlight circuit. Where the connector is that you have to disconnect when removing the hood, I spliced a second connector in parallel for the work lights. When I have the loader in place, I disconnect the headlights and plug in the work lights, and they will operate off the headlight switch. having both sets on at the same time overloads the circuit and blows fuses, plus the bucket blanks out the regular headlights, so I disconnect them.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
In the late 1990s I added the factory light kit to my 40 Loader (on a 455) and it tapped into the headlight wiring.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I put work lights on top of the "goal posts" on my 45 loader, and just tapped into the headlight circuit. Where the connector is that you have to disconnect when removing the hood, I spliced a second connector in parallel for the work lights. When I have the loader in place, I disconnect the headlights and plug in the work lights, and they will operate off the headlight switch. having both sets on at the same time overloads the circuit and blows fuses, plus the bucket blanks out the regular headlights, so I disconnect them.
Use LED work lights to reduce current and change existing headlights to LED makes it so you can tap pigtail w/connector into headlight circuit, won’t blow fuses, eliminates the need to unplug existing light circuit connector. Most connectors are usually only rated for about 500 insertions. Depending on how often you take your loader ON/OFF will determine how long it will last.

Found these lights recently that might work for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHNFXKL/?coliid=I28OKVHLF8D97H&colid=2T6ANRY0OQJ3D&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I did similar to this on my X738 for my cab for snow removal duty, but the lights I used were much lower output.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Save yourself later regrets, DO NOT go cheap on the wiring or connectors. Buy marine grade wiring, connectors and switches. Use plenty of tie downs too.

This is from me, writing this from the wiring "heartbreak hotel" .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm ordering parts for this while I'm on the road away from the machine.

It looks like the headlight harness is yellow and black 18ga. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

--Alex

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So I'm ordering parts for this while I'm on the road away from the machine.

It looks like the headlight harness is yellow and black 18ga. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

--Alex
Sounds about right. My X738 I think has a 10A fuse for the lighting circuit.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
I add LED lights to my 45 loader and used the accessory switch on the tractor.I only use the lights in the winter. The lights are magnet mount. I use 2 wire with weather covers on the connectors.
IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally have all the materials to get the lights mounted and wired.

I'd like to have a single plug-in for the lights near the hydraulic connections so that all loader connections are in the same location. This means I would need to cross the top of the loader to get to the right light.

I'm thinking of routing the wiring through the horizontal brace between the goal posts. Other than removing that brace in the future to blast and paint it, in which case I'll rewire it, does anyone see an issue with going through it?

--Alex

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the LED lights from amazon. All wire is 18ga MTW with nylon sleeve. They're tapped into the headlight harness. Swapped out the headlamps to LED to keep current down.

Weatherpak connectors on the lights themselves, and connecting to the machine by the hydraulic fittings. And I ended up adding grommets to route through the goal post cross bar.

Thanks for the help!

Now to add lights to the rear. lol

--Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I went with the LED lights from amazon. All wire is 18ga MTW with nylon sleeve. They're tapped into the headlight harness. Swapped out the headlamps to LED to keep current down.

Weatherpak connectors on the lights themselves, and connecting to the machine by the hydraulic fittings. And I ended up adding grommets to route through the goal post cross bar.

Thanks for the help!

Now to add lights to the rear. lol

--Alex
Maybe consider using the same light, using the same mounting bolt, mounted to the back side of the post, on both posts although I got by with just one light forward and one rearward on the X360.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts