My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just dragged home a 40" kidney mower this weekend, and want to service the gearbox before putting it to work.

The manual (Thanks to gravely manuals) states the gearbox is to be emptied of existing grease then refilled.

How full is full ?

Anyone have a favorite type of grease ?

I would grab a tub of Disc Brake Bearing Grease unless there is a "Better suited" alternative.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like to use Mobile 1 grease mixed with Mobile 1 gear oil 75W-90 in a 6 to 10 ratio. The idea is near 00 grease consistency, with some flowable characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information Steve.

Do you have advice on how "Full" you make it ?

Regards

·
Registered
645 Posts
1/2 over the main gear is full enough. Up to 3/4 would probably be ok, but I would not fill it completely. The gears will pickup the grease and sling it around in there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Franklin.

Just the nugget of info I was missing.

Looks like it is "Time to grease wheezer"

That is a reference from The Little Rascals for the AARP crowd like me :tango_face_wink:

·
4,202 Posts
Thanks Franklin.

Just the nugget of info I was missing.

Looks like it is "Time to grease wheezer"

That is a reference from The Little Rascals for the AARP crowd like me :tango_face_wink:
You though that you were the only one who remembers
Yum Yum eat 'em up

·
Make Better Mowers
2,052 Posts
Generally 80-90 is used for most gearboxes and with the box level, unscrew the filler (to be full put enough it so that it starts to run out). If Its been in there for years, you should probably thin it with a cutting agent. I personally, would squirt in some carb cleaner like gumout to get gelled grease out of there. With the degreaser in, run the gearbox for a few minutes to get all the crud out. Then flush it out well. Make certain no solvent is left in the case.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Generally 80-90 is used for most gearboxes and with the box level, unscrew the filler (to be full put enough it so that it starts to run out). If Its been in there for years, you should probably thin it with a cutting agent. I personally, would squirt in some carb cleaner like gumout to get gelled grease out of there. With the degreaser in, run the gearbox for a few minutes to get all the crud out. Then flush it out well. Make certain no solvent is left in the case.
Be careful using the solvent. I have tried that a couple of times, and each time I did it, the seals started leaking afterward.

If you want something a little more runny than grease, I have mixed gear oil and grease together, looks a little bit like applesauce when it gets churned up. I have used this in gearboxes that require gear oil and it helps the seals stop leaking.

Next I want to try some of that 00 grease that tractor supply sells for hay balers. I have tried that Lubriplate motor assembly lube that comes in a tube in my governor, it has been working well in there and not leaking out.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The gearbox on the 40" kidney and 40"/50"/60" 3-blade mower gearboxes was spec'd to use NLGI 2 grease by Gravely, but really it's a poor lubricant choice. 00 grease or a grease with a small amount of oil mixture is ideal, but your vertical shaft seal needs to be in good shape in order for the box to not leak. Fill the box until just below the front lip if using 00 or an oil/grease mix. If you using straight NLGI 2 than pack it full of grease until it just doesn't ooze out the sides when you put the cover on. Do not use straight gear oil in any of these boxes as they are not designed for it. The output pulley slides onto the bottom of the vertical shaft, with the outer lip of the pulley going up into the box to act as the seal surface. Oil will go right out the bottom of the gearbox between the shaft and the pulley. If the pulley didn't interact with the seal, and the shaft rode against the vertical shaft seal, than you would be fine using oil.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts