My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the 24g for sale post and they were talking about blade tip speed increasing the quality of the cut and I was wondering I there were smaller pulleys that I could swap onto my 40" commercial mower that I use for mowing my lawn with my Commercial 12. Any suggestions? :thanku:

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Not sure about that Comm 40 mowers. Biggest thing that would help them is to get the deck to run level instead of a tail down stance. Most of them I have seen, including my own, run tail down even with 18" tires. This goes against all of the articles I have ever seen on how to properly setup a mower. You generally want about 1/8" low to perfectly flat on the front to rear for best cut and efficiency for the motor. If that can be dialed out.. then you can go for tip speed.

Are the Comm 40 pulleys splined or keyed? I can't remember right off hand. If keyed, different sizes should be rather easy to source.

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always thought that the pulleys threaded on. I may be wrong.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
I always thought that the pulleys threaded on. I may be wrong.
The main drive sheave can be threaded on or slip fit if I recall correctly. I'm fairly certain the spindles are simply set screws with keys and a big nut on top of the whole assembly.

·
Gravely1964
4,202 Posts
The main drive sheave can be threaded on or slip fit if I recall correctly. I'm fairly certain the spindles are simply set screws with keys and a big nut on top of the whole assembly.
Yep the main drive pulley is threaded and the spindles are keyed. Mine are anyways:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Same here but there are some drive pulleys that are keyed.

·
Gravely1964
4,202 Posts
Same here but there are some drive pulleys that are keyed.
I learn something new everyday. So there was both for the drive pulley threaded and keyed.

Heres my thinking since as far as i know the spindles were all keyed pulleys. Wouldn't it be easy to change them with an off the self pulley with the correct shaft size that is also keyed to the shaft. But with a smaller pulley diameter to over drive the spindles and blades. Would also need to get shorter belts as well to match.
If it does give a better cut I'd be willing to try it my self. Would also make them better for mowing leaves and mulching them :fing32:
What would be a good size to change to?:dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.