My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people have asked about how they go together.
Photo 1 shows all the parts with a LFT 60" spindle using steel seals.
Photo 2 shows as they would go together.
Photo 3 shows a 40"/50"/ RT-CTR 60".
Photo 4 shows how not to put them together and is a condemed unit due to wear where the blade sits.

Attachments

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put Spindle housing on blocks of wood after removing blade cradles and pulleys. Smack shaft hard and watch it fall out. Throw in trash if damaged. Save the steel seal and washer. Turn housing over and watch race fall out after you hit it from opposite side. Save the washer and steel seal. Drive out both bearing cups. Inspect housing for wear. Install new cups in housing. Install one new race on rotor shaft. Small ends face in. Big open end of cups face out. Don't do it the other way around. Put rotor shaft in and instal other bearing on opposite end. Steel washers go on after bearings are in. Seals go in last. Pump grease thru fitting until it comes out both ends. Turning shaft helps spread the grease in the bearing. Install housing in deck. Install pulley, washer, locknut. Install blade cradle, blade, washer, lock nut or lock washer and nut. If you want you can pack the bearings by hand but just greasing them and turning the shaft works too.

Some units use grease seals made of rubber and those replace the steel seals and washers.

Parts used:
2 Set 14 Timkens to replace Gravely PT # 038199
2 Steel seals PT # 021211
2 Washers PT # 020743
1 spindle housings PT # 021215
1 Spindle Shaft PT # 021216. New number is 58802800 "Spindle Shaft Service Kit" which does both the sides and center units on 40-50" decks as it includes both straight and 45° grease fittings. 58802900 is the "Spindle Shaft Service Kit" for the Left Spindle on a 60" deck which is keyed and has a straight grease fitting.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Nice write up Don. Thanks for posting it. It is now stuck. :fing32:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, if you want to upgrade an old 50" deck from ball bearings to taper bearings, doesn't that mean replacing every part of the spindle assembly?
As far as I can tell right now, yes. Not sure on the spindle housings as there was a change in them even between the early Timken Taper bearings and the later ones. The ones on my 450 prototype are all tapers and it dates to the very first decks for the 4 wheelers that weren't Top Hat decks.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
As far as I can tell right now, yes. Not sure on the spindle housings as there was a change in them even between the early Timken Taper bearings and the later ones. The ones on my 450 prototype are all tapers and it dates to the very first decks for the 4 wheelers that weren't Top Hat decks.
OK, so maybe my early 50" would have taper bearings. Only one way to find out....

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I have a 50 inch deck that has ball bearings. The grease fittings are on the side of the spindle housing.

Don't forget to change the idler pulley too. One day I will make an idler that has replaceable ball bearings.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The 72" deck is similar. Same bearings, but rubber seals are used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts