My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Funny Craigslister opinion. So to that guy the $900 mower is just as good as the $3000 model beneath it? Yep.

(BTW, a violation of CL TOS, flag him off the page. I hate the opinion ranters)

It takes all kinds. I've got 2 "regulars" that always hit my ads with offers of around 30-40%. One has a junk shop and the other relists to ebay. Every time someone makes a desperation sale their egos grow and they get bolder. I just ignore them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What a BUTT (the opinion ranter)!

Who would WANT one of those new pieces of JUNK??? I specifically looked for an older tractor, one made before they started making them out if tin foil and plastic... I was more than willing to pay $1200 or more for a 20-30 year old tractor. Why? Because the "tractors" in his ad will be dead and gone in under 10 years... if you can even get 10 years out of one of them. Duh!!?!??!

I guess there have to be people out there like that though, otherwise Lowes and HD wouldn't ever sell any of their "tractors" either... LOL

·
Registered
278 Posts
Who would WANT one of those new pieces of JUNK???
The suburban lot owner who needs ONLY a grass cutter but doesn't want to be called Forest Gump by his neighbors
when on top of the Ride on that would meet his 1/3 or 1/2 acre yard need.

I guess there have to be people out there like that though...
yeah... the largest percentage of new tractor buyers.

·
Registered
201 Posts

That's the sad part!!! They're screwing up the supply of *good* used tractors. Makes it harder for me to find what I want at a reasonable price (i.e. after someone else has paid the depreciation on the over-priced but *good quality* new stuff). :sidelaugh

·
Registered
37 Posts
The suburban lot owner who needs ONLY a grass cutter but doesn't want to be called Forest Gump by his neighbors
when on top of the Ride on that would meet his 1/3 or 1/2 acre yard need.

So true!

Oddly enough I've always wanted a Gump style rider! Steering wheel or handlebar, just to mess with my neighbors and passers by. Some of those old-school bowl decks leave pretty stripes too.

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
What a BUTT (the opinion ranter)!

Who would WANT one of those new pieces of JUNK??? I specifically looked for an older tractor, one made before they started making them out if tin foil and plastic... I was more than willing to pay $1200 or more for a 20-30 year old tractor. Why? Because the "tractors" in his ad will be dead and gone in under 10 years... if you can even get 10 years out of one of them. Duh!!?!??!

I guess there have to be people out there like that though, otherwise Lowes and HD wouldn't ever sell any of their "tractors" either... LOL
Oh I don't know... people who only need a lawn tractor with which to comfortably mow their lawns. People like me who can't push mow an acre because of back problems. People who either don't have the mechanical skills to maintain an old garden tractor. Or people who just are sick of dropping money into their old machines.

I replaced a '72 Case 444 with a new John Deere D160. No they're not comparable, no the Deere likely won't be running in 40 years. However the Deere starts first time every time, the only money I need to put into it is maintinance, and it provides a great cut for the money. Was the Case a far more stout tractor? Heck yes it was, but it was also a money pit, and something always needed to be replaced on it. I didn't need a garden tractor, I didn't have a garden- I still don't have one. I wanted a machine to cut my lawn and to haul a cart now and again- and the little Deere does all that.

With the money I spent on the Case, and then proceeded to sink into it I could have purchased the Deere in cash instead of financing it like I had to. However I got sucked into the idea that an old garden tractor was a great idea- and I ended up selling the Case at a loss because wives don't always believe in collecting tractors.

Is the Deere perfect? No. Does it do all I ask of it without a complaint? It sure does. Eventually I expect the transaxle to fail, but with the maintinance I give it I don't think it will be for another 8 to 10 years and when it does I'll put a servicable TuffTorq K58 or K66 in it- no sense in replacing it when everythi.g else works fine. Just because we have a disposible attitude in society doesn't mean these new machines have to be thrown away when they break- they are fixable.

Just because you don't like the modern machines doesn't mean they don't jave their place. The Deere 100 series, the STX, etc. were all concidered 'junk' by folks with your opinion when they came out- they were sales success stories and many are still in use. Your own situation and opinions don't dictate the market, and for that I am greatfull.

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Also, for the record I really loved that Case- but it would have been a better project tractor than something I had to rely on. Also, it ran fine when I pruchased it, but all immediately went down hill from there. No hate for those machines though, I want another someday- but not one that I will have to depend on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the real take away message here is that anybody selling a GT that is more than 10 years old shouldn't charge over $200 for it. Of course the downside to this is that I'd be broke in about 15 minutes. And probably be on the receiving end of this :14_6_5:

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
I would be entirely alright with paying $200 for a John Deere 455 or X4xx...

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
I mean if anyone has a 420 or 318 they want to get rid of... I've got $150...

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I'm glad that John Q Homeowner is opting for the new box store mowers these days as I wouldn't really want to fork$$ out for one what the prices would be if everyone wanted a good older quality machine.Lots of people these days have lots of $$$$ or lots of credit to buy a new one and don't care if it holds up and have no concern for its resale value.Around my area many homeowners have gone the next step and hire a mowing company to cut the grass they rather play golf on Saturday.I still say that older quality built garden tractors are at bargain prices these days but it'll change.My evidence is I have bought Mini Coopers,MG Midgets and Austin Healey 3000's for less then $500.Had a good running Pontiac GTO I paid $700.20 years from now some of the top quality Garden Tractors from the 80s and 90s will have dramatically increased in value.Back in the early 60s 2 cylinder John Deeres were bringing next to nothing so all I can say is get them while they're cheap and I've been taking my own advice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, I 100% agree with you gburnett. Secondly, if I ever see another tractor for sale I will have no problem convincing my better half by saying, "You always said we should start investing."

Anybody have any contacts at TLC or Discovery that they can make a new show suggestion to? "GT Preppers"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just because you don't like the modern machines doesn't mean they don't jave their place. The Deere 100 series, the STX, etc. were all concidered 'junk' by folks with your opinion when they came out- they were sales success stories and many are still in use. Your own situation and opinions don't dictate the market, and for that I am greatfull.
Unfortunately, it's this attitude that has facillitated the purchase of America by China. We'd prefer 5 TVs that will last a year over 1 TV that you'll hand down to your kids. Substitute tractor, washing machine, or pretty much anything for TV, and you'll see how we got where we are.

Like you (oefveteran) I'm 50+ and push mowing a half acre isn't something I want to do. I also don't want to see China own any more of the country I served to defend so many years ago...

So, I try to combat it whenever I can. If I'm buying a tool, I check to see where it was made first. It it says China, I put it back on the shelf. It's a small act... like buying my old Deeres, or the recent Troy-Bilt, but it adds up over time. I'm sick and tired of throwing away hard-earned money on stuff that isn't manufactured to basic standards. I'd rather spend more, or buy something older.

Unlike you, I'm sad that there's a market for the throw-away mowers. That's my $.02. You have your $.02, and you're entitled to it as much as I'm entitled to mine. I just wanted to clarify the reasoning behind what I said.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
What makes us American is the right to choose.....What makes me a Chevy man and you a Ford guy, or I buy only Craftsman tools, and you only buy Snap On.....it is just preference, and choice. Thank God, so far, we still have choices.....although that looks more and more iffy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What makes us American is the right to choose.....What makes me a Chevy man and you a Ford guy, or I buy only Craftsman tools, and you only buy Snap On.....it is just preference, and choice. Thank God, so far, we still have choices.....although that looks more and more iffy.
You been spying on me? :hide:

How'd you know there are 3 Fords in my driveway??? :dunno:

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
You been spying on me? :hide:

How'd you know there are 3 Fords in my driveway??? :dunno:
Yesterday, was my "one time, all seeing, all knowing" event ......My Birthday....it was uneventful, however...go figure.:dunno:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well... Happy Birthday!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts