My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how to interpret the specs on these Cat 1 tillers. When reading the HP range on 3pt tiller specifications- are these referencing engine HP or PTO HP?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer your question but I have a 7194 Cub Cadet tractor, it's 19 hp. I don't know if that's engine or PTO HP but I have a 52" Woods tiller and have never had a problem tilling any ground with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I rent a tiller from my dealer each year rather than buy one. The tiller is usually a Woods 5 foot tiller. My 20 hp Kioti handles the tiller quite well. Yes, it makes my Kioti work. I slow my forward speed at times when I hit low wet spots, but I have always been able to run the tiller to its maximum depth.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
I sometimes wonder myself which horsepower rating is being used, engine or PTO. That said, I run a 50" reverse till with an 18 PTO horsepower garden tractor (X748) and have no lack of power.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone. I was wondering if my 28HP pto would be able to run a 6ft tiller, and while underpowered by specs., maybe it will drive the 6 footer.

·
21,509 Posts
I had a 48" tiller for my 16hp GT. Like a snow blower, when the engine starts to bog down, reduce the travel speed and it works fine.

The hardest part was keeping the tiller from pushing the tractor faster when tilling to full depth in virgin ground.

You have a heavier tractor, twice as much PTO horsepower and only 50% more tiller. It should do well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts