My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any plans to build a 3pt sleeve hitch combo? I saw a picture of one and became very interested.

Lost of old 3pt hitch stuff out there that can be purchesed for cheap.

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
I saw some DIY plans online not too long ago, but I don't remember what GT/LT they were for. I'll root around & see if I can dig 'em up.

·
GT5000 22HP 54"
28 Posts
Ok, fill me in...

What does a three point hitch do? It's better than a sleeve hitch?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
HRGames said:
What does a three point hitch do? It's better than a sleeve hitch?
With a 3 point hitch you have more adjustment options such as angling, etc. as the top arm is an adjustable link. It also distributes the pulling across 3 hitch points rather than two. I guess the other option would be having a few more implements you might be able to use, I don't know.

IMO, for most garden tractor applications the sleeve hitch is sufficient, but hey... go for the mods!!! :D

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I had a Cat "0" 3PH

on my Case 446...I also had a sleeve hitch adapter that allowed me to use the 3PH on sleeve hitch attachments...It was the best of both worlds. I'll see what I can dig up on it.

·
. . . . . . . . . . . .
1,122 Posts
Stay with me Digger. I made that one from scrap steel that was at my shop. Things are pretty tumultuous on the home-front at the moment, but when I get some time, I'll take apart ( need to modify it anyway ), snap some pics, take measurements and post it all for you.
Hey, I finished the mod on my sleeve-hitch tiller. That bad boy is 40" wide now. I'll take a few pics of that while I'm at it, if anyone is interested.

Bruce

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bruce,

It will be a little while anyway before I get some extra money for the parts.
I’m currently searching job prospects with no end in sight.

My GT 18 has a flat drawbar, how hard do you think it would be to get the correct angle for the 3pt sleeve hitch?

Richard

·
. . . . . . . . . . . .
1,122 Posts
Sixchows, I made it so I would have angle control and still use my sleeve-hitch implements. That way the expensive cat 0 implements could stay at the store. Does it look that generic? I'm just an eyeball engineer, but it functions well.

Bruce

·
Registered
939 Posts
Winch hitch

Bruce,

Your version of the winch hitch is really fine. I really like the top link idea. Mine is much more crude, but still gets used once a week for a few hours and works pretty good. I can only guess yours would be even better. I see you used the Superwinch. I have a Harbor Freight cheapo on mine and I was wondering of the Superwinch's brake is any better. Mine slips down a little with a lot of weight on it. It improved a lot when I ran the cable straight out into a fairlead type roller and then down to the hitch, but it still slips with a heavy load. I made a latch device that falls on to a bar when I want to hold up something more than 200 lbs. Great job, its nice to see another winch hitch.

Kurt

·
. . . . . . . . . . . .
1,122 Posts
Kurt, it's funny you mentioned Harbour freight, because I started out with one of their el-cheapos ( caught it on sale for $50 .) It didn't even have a brake, so right back it went. I bit the bullet and shelled out $130.00 for the T1500, which has a dynamic/electric brake. It would coast just a little under heavy load, hooked up direct ( single line .) Since I doubled the line it holds nicely. In theory anyway, when the line is doubled, capacity is doubled.

If one had a little extra cash, it would be well worth it to spring for one with a dynamic and mechanical brake ( I think superwinch sells one for under $200 )

Truth be known, you inspired me to use the winch. I saw a post of yours a long time ago, that showed your winch with the fairlead, but you didn't show how you rigged up the bar for stopping the line. I scratched my head for a while, trying to figure out a way to rig something functional that could be operated from the seat, when I had the HF cheapy.

Bruce

·
Registered
939 Posts
thanks for the info

Bruce,

Glad to hear I inspired the one you made. Thats pretty cool. The brake on the HF is a little weak, but it does work. Having it pull straight out, instead of down helped it a lot. The latch bar thing just rides up on with the hitch and has a slot that falls into a bar thats welded on to the drawbar to hold it in the fully up position. When I want to release I have to lift the load up just a bit and release the bar so it rides back down. I have it spring loaded so it stays put when riding on the bar. It's pretty crude, but works most of the time. When using the box blade with one cinder block, I dont need the latch and have it removed. I only use it with the forks and since I made a sleeve hitch adapter that fits in that 3pt to 2" receiver adapter (the one without the chains) , I can use my forks on the 2210 :)... Did that make any sense?

Thanks for the info on the Superwinch. I'm glad to hear there are better alternatives to my HF winch. Also, the double line piece is really good to know if I ever get to redesign this thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Three point sleeve hitch

Bruceman said:
Stay with me Digger. I made that one from scrap steel that was at my shop. Things are pretty tumultuous on the home-front at the moment, but when I get some time, I'll take apart ( need to modify it anyway ), snap some pics, take measurements and post it all for you.
Hey, I finished the mod on my sleeve-hitch tiller. That bad boy is 40" wide now. I'll take a few pics of that while I'm at it, if anyone is interested.

Bruce
I'm also going to be staying with you ,Bruceman ,I have a half a$$ed winch operated hitch stuck on the back of my craftsman 4000 but it has a mind of it' own.Lots of help needed
Doncfn

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
You ever get those pics Bruce?

·
. . . . . . . . . . . .
1,122 Posts
Wow, I almost forgot about this one. This thread is Eleven months old, talk about draggin' my feet. Yes, I'll tear it down to the backing plate, not hard at all, to 5/8" bolts and a few pins.
I'll try to make you proud with my documentation and pics, within a week.

Bruce~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts