My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PTO shaft on my 3pt spreader that is froze up. It will not slide in/out and I cannot remove it from the gearbox either. What is a good method to pull it apart to clean/lube to slide properly? I have tried PB blaster, heat, banging, slammer etc and it will not budge. I thought if I had a hydraulic ram like auto body/frame shops use I could make a couple of L-brackets and attach some U-bolts on each end of the shaft and push it apart with the ram. Any other ideas?

Bill

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Lower it all the way down as far as it will go. You may need to jump on the 3PH arms, but be careful you don't get hurt. slkpk

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
chain the spreader frame to a tree and drive off

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
btackett said:
I have tried PB blaster, heat, banging, slammer etc and it will not budge.
Wow....it must really be rusted in there. I'd spray it real heavy with some PB Blaster and let it set for a day or so and then see what happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i may be showing my noob side here but what is PB Blaster?
I have a three point spreader that the feed gates are completely rusted shut on. i need to get these freed up ASAP!!

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
i may be showing my noob side here but what is PB Blaster?
I have a three point spreader that the feed gates are completely rusted shut on. i need to get these freed up ASAP!!
PB Blaster is the brand name of a real-life, genuine (unlike WD-40) penetrating oil. If you've got metal parts frozen up (nut/bolt, hinge, etc.) PB Blaster (or Kroil is another good brand, from what I've heard, personally, I use PB Blaster) is what you want to use.

And don't worry about the noob side of things... we were all there once... :fing32:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a PTO shaft on my 3pt spreader that is froze up. It will not slide in/out and I cannot remove it from the gearbox either. What is a good method to pull it apart to clean/lube to slide properly? I have tried PB blaster, heat, banging, slammer etc and it will not budge. I thought if I had a hydraulic ram like auto body/frame shops use I could make a couple of L-brackets and attach some U-bolts on each end of the shaft and push it apart with the ram. Any other ideas?

Bill
Depending on how it's froze up determines how to unstick it. If it's froze due to the lack of lube, you may have to use force. If it's stuck due to rust, gentle is the way. For rust, soak it in either PB Blaster ( I prefer Kroil ) and raise and lower, then slowly spin the PTO shaft to work the oil throughout the shaft. Keep soaking and working the shaft and it'll work it's way loose. If the PTO shaft is stuck because of the lack of lube, yer in fer some work! What's happened is the metal is galled and spalled inside the shaft, and is essentially welded inside. You can try your luck and beat, press, or pull it apart. However, you'll find that shaft will give you problems later in it's life. I've seen both types of "frozen" shafts several times. The lack of lube types will always give problems later in their lives that'll make their owners wish they had replaced the shaft way back when.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Following back up on this. I finally got it pulled apart. I some Rancho shock steering stabilizer brackets with U bolts that I had laying around and put them on both ends of the shaft behind the joints and used a small bottle jack and cranked them apart. They were basically rust welded inside. I then cleaned/sanded the shaft tube and cleaned the inner one the best I could and greased and worked like a charm. I will just have to keep an eye on it more often so it doesn't happen again.

sorry no video, It would have been a good one if I would have chained it to a tree! LOL

63D, how long were you in?
I was an 13B Gun chief for 11 years on the M109-A6 Paladin and really miss it. You guys did an awesome job taking care of our guns. We appreciate it. :thThumbsU

Bill

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, we had two of them and this one sat at the back corner of the barn exposed and I guess over a year or so of rain blowing in sideways was enought to stick it.

works fine now.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts