My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here have one?...Are they hard to learn to use?...any other comments or suggestions about buying one?

Premium Member
All depends upon what you want to do with one. Scan and print or print from 3D drawings. Then there is the matter of print materials.

My BIL has two, just upgraded to a larger one. It is capable of making something up to 16鈥漻16鈥漻24鈥, I believe.
He made a baby yoda and a Harry Potter sorting hat with it today. The baby yoda was about 6鈥 tall, and had excellent detail.
8C1427FD-10AF-4E43-BF72-87A0295AC1F6.jpeg

04AE97CD-7BAD-4FBA-BA01-10BF7322D485.jpeg

As far as using it. He gets the scans from the web, he said virtually everything is available. Loads onto a flash drive, then plugs that into the printer. And off it goes.
He makes it sound simple, but he is a computer designer, he makes things from plastic and writes up the programming for the machines to make it. He designed the Slingshot windshield.
A8F97F48-2613-4894-AAAB-30919F76AC31.jpeg

Professional Homeowner
A couple guys at work have them. Not difficult to learn how to print. The difficult part is learning the 3D modeling software to design parts from scratch.

Some of that stuff is pretty robust. Our design department uses one to print molds to mold small parts from cast urethane. The molds are good for roughly a dozen shots, then delaminate and fall apart. The heat from the curing process kills them.

I鈥檝e used parts print from wax like material in investment casting to prove out a design before building permanent tooling as well. That works good.

Most people that have them just like to print fun little stuff like desk toys and stuff. One of our guys prints stuff for secret Santa gifts. He鈥檒l make 3D 2 piece maze cylinders with treasures inside. He actually built his own printer, using some parts printed on his store bought printer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts