My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any info on an alternate to the honda oil filter on the 3813.

I heard that there is an automobile oil filter that will fit this engine, less costly and easier to locate. Unfortunately, I do not have the brand or part number.

Since I frequently change this filter, any help would be great. Thanks,

Jim40scot

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
it's mainly a factor of the diameter of the metal cannister (especially the rubber gasket) and the diameter & threading of the center hole -

they all seem to use 2 or 3 size nipples to screw on - just take it by NAPA or Trak Auto and match up - they all operate the same,

i know there's one out there but at $6 or $ 7 i'm happier to stay with a honda original

boats.net has the best pricing i've found on the net

·
Registered
492 Posts
Honda uses the same engine, GX360K1, on the 3813 and my 4514. The official Honda number for the filter is 15410-MJ0-405, Honda code 1384445 and has the following specs:

20 MM X 1.5 MM threads
8-11 PSI Bypass
Gasket: 2.475"OD 2.173"ID 0.233" thick.
25/30 Micron rated

Here is my list of substitutes:
Bosch 3312
Mobil 1 M1-104/5
STP 2808

I use the Bosch 3312 filter most of the time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Napa # 1334

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
out of curiosity i checked online pricing on the STP S2808 and the mobil filter
- the STPs are available from AutoZone for $3.49, the mobil's, best i found was over $10

that $3.49 is pretty decent price

·
Registered
73 Posts
be careful subbing that filter, I recently spoke with a guy who had had one launch a rod, right after the owner installed a non honda filter

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use a Wix # 51334 - exact crossover to Honda number. I also use Mobil 1
10-40. Change in spring and fall. Never any problems! Had massive overheat last year, lost water in radiator & didn't know it - no lights or buzzer - got so hot it melted top of air cleaner. Tore the motor apart & no signs of damage except for oil pump gear sheared into - appears as though it melted :( I think that the Mobil 1 is all that kept it from flying apart in a million pieces!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I use a Wix # 51334 - exact crossover to Honda number. I also use Mobil 1
10-40. Change in spring and fall. Never any problems! Had massive overheat last year, lost water in radiator & didn't know it - no lights or buzzer - got so hot it melted top of air cleaner. Tore the motor apart & no signs of damage except for oil pump gear sheared into - appears as though it melted :( I think that the Mobil 1 is all that kept it from flying apart in a million pieces!

did you ever determine why the buzzer or light didn't signal?
Reason i ask, mine quit sounding the buzzer, even when i'd have the parking brake on and would put it in gear - i got no alarm

went thru the harness and found the connector body on that metal "tree" next to the battery, where all the relays are, two of the leads in that connector had insulation just shaved off, a good 3/4" of insulation, and were shorting - one was for the alarms, (iirc green lead w/blue striping) - they hadn't rubbed the insulation off as there wasn't anything to rub against - must have been assembled like that originally

in case, the connector is at the bottom left of that "tree" or rack, bottom left if you're looking forward from the operator's seat. from the radiator side of that "tree" or rack, there's a metal surround clip holding that connector in place - a phillips screw holds that surround clip to the "tree" - the connector body half that had the two unshielded leads, was on the radiator side or front side

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
you do realize this is a 7 yr old thread you just bumped??

but while it's back up, i had done some research on oil filter comparisons - surprisingly the Fram and purolater were pretty low in ranking, the STP was the absolute lowest, and the wix was the consistently highest ranking filter

I switched over to wix 4-5 years ago, and haven't had any issues, and the napa filter is a private label wix filter, ie wix supplies napa

you can't get much easier to source than napa, or do what i do and catch them on amazon

·
tinkerer
4 Posts
agree with u on the Frams and Purolators. - using up some old stock I had in the garage found the purolator. I will order some WIXs (#51334) and try those. thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts