My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a used D125 but it has a 38" deck.
Last one had 42". Will this make a big difference in mowing time?
Is this a reason not to buy a decent low-hour D125 for $1000 ?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I had a similar situation when I moved to my place 8 years ago. I had a 38 deck, and found a cheap 42 to upgrade with. I mow about 3/4 acre. I maybe saved 10 minutes a mow. It wasn't that dramatic.

Shortly after that I moved up to a 54" front mount mower. That made a huge difference in time! It wasn't just the width - it was the higher speed and ability to trim around trees and other obstacles faster.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
It will really depend on how well you can prevent overlaps. The same amount of overlap on the two deck sizes is a larger percentage on the 38".

I have a neighbor that mows a rectangular lawn with so little overlap that on his corners, he cannot avoid missing small crescent strips. He then goes back over the missed strips with a couple of diagonal passes.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
If you aren't the one sitting in the seat...no.
Lol. I thought the same thing. To be honest if it was me buying for my wife to use and have service done I'd buy cheap mowers too. She has a habit of destroying my equipment and is banned from it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Take your current mowing time and multiply by 1.10. your new deck is about 10% smaller than your old one.

That will give you your new mowing time. (Ie. 2 x 1.10 = 2.2hrs)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback.
10% difference calculation makes sense.
Moot point as the D125 is already sold.

Will probably just buy a new entry level LT in the $1600 range.
Hiring a lawn service would cost about $1800 a year.

I will look up how to do the basic maint like removing the deck to then do belt, pulley, filters, oil, plugs.
Should be able to get 7 or more years out of it, whic is $200/year.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am seeing a used D125 but it has a 38" deck.
Last one had 42". Will this make a big difference in mowing time?
I don't recall a 100-series coming with a 38" deck for a long time. Is it possible that the deck wasn't original to the tractor? That would be a reason to think twice.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe too late for this 125 as it is already sold, but keep in mind the larger deck you buy, the more you sacrifice in cut quality. I have 4 riders. All different size decks. The smaller the deck, the better the cut. My opinion only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts