My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
...ok, let's say i want to run the blower on the 816T,,, the PTO out of the transmission is, (and also into the the front shaft) are 13 splines, but the driveshaft from the 812, and the blower has 15 splines. What's the fix here? Ultimately a new long drive shaft with 13 splines would be the easiest, but maybe not the cheapest. Anyone have a spare they're willing to sell?

There are a lot of gorgeous rigs on this forum, Tractortag, wow, that is a nice fleet.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Really? The only 13 spline PTOs I've heard of are on the 400 series. I thought they'd long since moved to 15 for the 800s and 8000s.

That driveshaft came off your 812, correct?

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Thanks, HolyOnan. The pto output shafts on your 812, and 816 should be the same, including the number of splines. I have used the same driveshaft on my '72 814, and '75 816. Maybe you missed 2 splines when you counted the 816's pto shaft?

·
Gravely1964
3,929 Posts
Best to my knowledge all 800's 8000's and G's are 15 spline.

But heres a 13 spline and 15 400 drive shafts. There totally different
DSC00457.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
...well stay tuned, I'll get time here this week to crawl under and confirm one way or the other

·
Registered
433 Posts
The angled teeth on a new gear are straight across. As the gear wears they become concave until these not enough "meat" left to handle the load. then a rock or obstruction finishes it off. As others mentioned its important to have the reel clutches adjusted correctly. Snow cannons are a blast with riders and walk behinds. But its equally impressive to watch a "Dog eater" make snow bricks in heavy wet snow. Have fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
here's a few pics of the blower after cleaning it up. I'm getting ready to paint, running out of time here in northeast Ohio, but having fun still the same.

...if any are following the thread, (for the drive shaft question)I have not taken the mower deck off the 816T to count splines on the shaft coming out of the transmission, probably only going to cut the grass one more time, then I'll get the deck off and get under there for a good look. I found a note I wrote, that said the stub shaft in the front axle has a 15 count, maybe that's the discrepancy,,, I'm hoping for big slice of humble pie, and the long drive shaft will fit the 816T. ...'cause I'd love to have the versatility,, and option of going back to just one tractor, ....hahaha yeah right!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
...'cause I'd love to have the versatility,, and option of going back to just one tractor, ....hahaha yeah right!
LOL. That *is* funny. Seriously though, aside from having both the blower, and plow attachments ready to go depending on snowfall amounts, which is very nice, having a second tractor also gives you a backup option just in case one tractor is out of service during/after a snowstorm for some reason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, so the spline count on the shafts, of both tractors, is 15.
The long shaft fits both tractors as you all suggest it should! I'm not sure where I got turned around on the idea, but happy for the outcome, and there you have it.

I'm going to post pics of the snow blower re-finish on the "what did you do with your gravely today..." when it's complete. so far the inside is done, used rustoleum rattle cans, likely going to brush the exterior.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts