My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, please take a look at the close up of the blower's gearbox, with the fill plug removed. I believe that's the infamous worm gear I see in there. Is it supposed to be on an angle like that? I suspect it is, curiosity got the better of me and I had to engage the PTO, for about 10-15 seconds, it rotated quiet and smooth enough, but I can see the gear oil needs topped off.

This is my $250 find, only 15 minutes from home, got it last year, just getting it rolling regularly now, cant' wait for the snow. Ugh can't believe I just said that, ....Gravely's:tango_face_grin:

This is my first blower set up, so any pointers, any known issues that you guys have experienced ? I'd appreciate any "heads up", thanks in advance

-Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Yes, that's the worm drive gear. From that pic, it's showing some wear, but not too bad. Looks servicable. Yes, the teeth are supposed to be angled; it's a worm gear.

I recommend you don't top it off, but completely change the oil in the gearbox. Make sure to use GL0 or GL1 (no sulfur). That will maximize the life of that gear.

In terms of other things to set up the blower, make sure the auger clutches are adjusted. You do that with a big crescent wrench on the nuts on either end of the auger. You want it snug, but not super tight, so that when you ingest a rock, the auger will just stop instead of stressing the gearbox. Set the skids to the height you want. On pavement that's pretty much all the way up. I blow on rough ground and gravel, so I keep mine down an inch, to keep from picking up too much crap. Make sure the rotation mechanism is smooth. You will probably want to stick some grease or heavy oil in the part where the drum rides on the housing. You may need to adjust the top and bottom stops (whatever those things are called) to be sort of snug against the edge of the drum, without binding.

Basically, just go over it all and make sure it looks like the moving parts are freed up and working correctly. Like most things gravely, it's a pretty simple design.

A running 812 with a 38" blower for 250 is a great grab! Have fun blowing, and :wwp:

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Set the skids to the height you want. On pavement that's pretty much all the way up. I blow on rough ground and gravel, so I keep mine down an inch, to keep from picking up too much crap.
Um

JRD,

Everyone on here knows that you should set the skids a bit lower on pavement, to leave a little bit of snow on the ground, which you then get out your other tractor and snowdozer to clean up.

c'mon

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Um

JRD,

Everyone on here knows that you should set the skids a bit lower on pavement, to leave a little bit of snow on the ground, which you then get out your other tractor and snowdozer to clean up.

c'mon
yes, I said that awkwardly. Skids as high as they will go puts the blower edge on the pavement. Skids down lifts the blower edge up, to keep the rocks out, most of the time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JRD, appreciate the advice. I really lucked out,,, it came with a 50" deck too, and the shell is awful,,, but as the saying should go,,, don't judge a tractor by it's appearance, because the rest of the deck, is great! mows really well, I thought I'd disassemble it and save the parts for spares, and chuck the deck, but now I'm going to keep the whole thing.

ohhh 'm feeling GAS-ey. Pics to come,, especially if I get the rust cleaned up and get a protective coat of paint.

Honestly, we might not even see enough snow to warrant the blower, but that wont really stop me from using it!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Deck shells can be replaced.....

I have a 48" blower and two snow blades for my 18-GLX, I don't even consider putting the blower on unless we get more than a foot of snow.

Bottom picture 7000 sq feet cleared with the blade in about 1 hour, took two hours to clear just a few inches more with the blower in the top picture.

I only have the one tractor, so there is no double teaming the snow with both methods......there is just switching to the blower if its really deep.....

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Maybe see if there is someone nearby with G.A.S. that you can hug?
If this comment is directed to me, I must say I don't get the reference?

I'm pretty serious about my GRAVELY, I bought it new in 1996 and have written two booklets on the long list of improvements I have engineered for it.

If you are not familiar with me or my tractor, you can read about it here:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/204196-latest-16g-improvements.html

But I don't need more than one tractor, and given the average snowfall here in Maryland, a blade is my first choice for snow removal as it is much faster for snows in the 8-10 inch range.

The heavy snow falls shown in my pictures are typically a once every 3-5 years event around here.

My GRAVELY is a lot of fun, and I enjoy my "one tractor" version of the GRAVELY hobby. But I own a GRAVELY to save time and effort, not think up ways to spend more time on those tasks.

But in contrast to most people on here, I bought my tractor new, giving me a slightly different perspective on collecting additional machines.

Sheldon

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts
Um

JRD,

c'mon
Yes, a minimum of 2 tractors are needed in order to clear a driveway correctly.:tango_face_grin: Steve (gravely1964) would say that even many more are needed.:tango_face_smile:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
If I bought a second tractor, it would have to be another late mode G like I have now, it would need to be in very clean, original condition, OR, it would be a total restoration before being put into service.

As soon as we are well settled in our new home, the 18-GLX will get a good cosmetic touch up and going over, as well as few more improvements I have in the works.

And possibly even a repower..........we will see.

And still considering a wing mower.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Yes, a minimum of 2 tractors are needed in order to clear a driveway correctly.:tango_face_grin: Steve (gravely1964) would say that even many more are needed.:tango_face_smile:
Yes. I often use 3: Rider with 38" cannon, walker with 26" cannon, and walker with plow.

This year I have a new driveway to clear, to a different building, so I may be deploying a separate walker with cannon.

I have a 44" cannon which needs restoration, and a partially rebuilt 800 series tractor, sounds like I ought to get on the stick on those :)

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts
Mike, congratulations! That was a great find at $250, and only 15 minutes away! As John mentioned the blower's friction clutches need to be checked, and adjusted. Sometimes the plates rust together, so I would loosen the big adjustment nuts at the ends of the auger to be sure that it auger can freewheel. Then tighten them back up. I believe that the recommended torque setting is something like 85 lbs., so you can gauge it accordingly.

The bronze gear in one of my blowers (the gear in your pic) instantly turned itself into a paperweight after a buried tree limb got caught in the auger, and the clutches, which I hadn't checked, didn't release. Lesson learned on my part.

Hope you get lots of snow, and we get lots of pics this winter!

·
Gravely1964
3,775 Posts
DSC01678.JPG I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Uhhhhhhh winter gang last year I'll use what ever I feel will work best for said snow event. Or if im not in a hurry the walk behinds get some use

·
Gravely1964
3,775 Posts
If snow had GPS it would look for alternate routes around your place.:tango_face_smile:
024_02a (3).jpg Yup I've kept mother nature scared for abit here. Only a matter of time before the wolf pack will get some heavy use again.

P1010618.JPG
Speaking of I need to get on that boat next week ish. Spares are standing ready. Im to the point now that I really won't have to change alot of machines back starting next year. 16-G might keep its cab on year round. Think I mowed with it once since I bought an 8199kt and a 60 inch deck. June ish or so. 818-T has been used a few times, but not alot either. Most of my riders have plow latches on and never use them hardly.

I've just been so busy this year it not even funny. Hardly been on the forums here either. Anybody whos never seen a Steve team check out a slide show of quite a few setups I've ran and used over the years

Also to the original poster it looks great. Only thing I will say is with the blower lifted check on a level spot if it lifting even side to side. If its with in say like a 1/4 inch thats good. Otherwise loosen up brackets on frame and move and adjust tightened till satisfied. If its way off you'll get hung up in your left behind snow. Embarrassing to say the least

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all who posted with good advice, I will be setting that auger adjustment, and draining, re-filling the gear box, and I must say you gentlemen are hilarious. I always thought the appeal of a gravely rider (besides the ruggedness) was the versatility, and need for for only one tractor. I bought the 812, simply to have the blower and drive shaft for my 816T. I was going to jettison the 812, keeping the mower deck for spare parts. But it soon became clear the 812 may have been neglected, but it was always repaired by a professional mechanic, and actually all there.(...well till the end and the hobbled effort at the frt wheel re-build I guess) But it's been re-powered at some point with a new K301, and has power for days, PLUS the hydraulic lift will come in handy lifting that 38" blower. So, now I have 2 gravely's and am hunting down more front mounted attachments.

Getting rid of the 816T is un-thinkable really, so here I sit, on two tractors, and it doesn't even hurt, who knew.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts