My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I plan on adding the reinforcement to the female part of the lift weldment. Maybe in June or July. I added extra length to the male/female parts because I could not find dimensions. You can never cut something off too long. But every thing seems to work well, and have full range of motion. I am still amazed at how easy it is to raise the blower with the manual lift.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
I raised and lowered my 38" blower on the 430 without helper springs for a number of years even though I had them. I finally thought it was pretty stupid of me to have them and not be using them enough times (years) so that I installed them. After that the blower almost lifted itself.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
tractortag

Can you provide any photos of the blower with the helper springs? I have searched IPLs and owners manuals and can't find any. I'm not sure how different the 400 series is from the 800/8000 but the chassis looks pretty much the same to me. I also don't see how to mount them to the snowplow.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Sorry, Todd. The 430 is here, but the 38" blower is out at the other place. I'm using the 44" blower with the 816.

I found a pic of Mikey 4's tractor with a 38" blower, and the lift assist kit installed. Also a pic of the lift assist kit itself except for the spring receiver bar which you can see bolted to Mikey4's blower.

The 400 and 800 series frames are the same. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that lift assist kits were used with plows. If you had a kit, you could probably modify the plow by welding up receivers for the springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks tracktortag
The photos really helped. The dim bulb is now glowing bright. The springs would need to be more horizontal, to work on the blower. I also have a new pair of the Carlisle X trac tires on a C8 WB. that's on the back burner right now. They are coming off and going on the rider with the blower. Anyone know how much liquid ballast can be added to the smaller tires used on walk behinds and the fronts of riders?

Todd

·
Gravely1964
3,957 Posts
thanks tracktortag
the photos really helped. The dim bulb is now glowing bright. The springs would need to be more horizontal, to work on the blower. I also have a new pair of the carlisle x trac tires on a c8 wb. That's on the back burner right now. They are coming off and going on the rider with the blower. Anyone know how much liquid ballast can be added to the smaller tires used on walk behinds and the fronts of riders?

Todd
Here a bit better pic. Called lift assit springs. Not a blower but same deal
P1010134.JPG

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,989 Posts
Just to be perfectly clear, the spring mounts to the tractor by using the latch pin (part 4 in the diagram) in the rear-most hole of the front mount bracket. The spring connects direct to the blower with the bracket discussed above. Part 5 in the diagram is used to connect it to the latch pin. (Parts 1 and 2 in the diagram are not used with the blower.)

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks, guys
Both tractors have the latch pins, and I have a complete assist kit that came with the mower deck. Looks like all I need to do is move the pins to the mounting bracket, and fab a blower bracket from used angle iron. If it ever gets above freezing here, I'm going to check local auto junk yards for hood springs. I think know someone that that can make the cam style latches

Todd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the worm wheel gear for a 38” snow cannon for a 4 wheel Gravely Tractor?

Also does anyone know if the gearbox is the same for a 2 wheel snow cannoN?

what oil does everyone use?

I used some Putple Synthetic that was supposed to be safe for yellow metals and it ate the gear

many help will be appreciated

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think Richards still sell them, but you better have a fat wallet. I would guess the gear is the same but you would have to check the IPLs. I don't think the "wrong" oil caused the problem, it was probably on its way out anyway. Or the reel clutches were frozen. Not wanting to start a dreaded "oil" thread GL4 is recommended safe for brass, but modern oil is a lot better than it was. And any oil is better than low oil or none.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Thanks for the reply

I am glad that you don’t think it was the oil not that replacing the gear is going to be cheap

I was able to pickup another blower till I can repair the first one

i will certainly check the clutch’s first the augers to make certain they are working properly

I also obtained the oil the was recommended on a YouTube video where they were running a clinic on rebuilding a snow cannon

i will google the link for Richard’s

but if you could pass I on yo me that would be appreciated

Thanks again for repl

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
i will google the link for Richard’s

but if you could pass I on yo me that would be appreciated

You should call them though, don't just rely on the web site. Apparently they have quite a pile of used stuff, in addition to new and NOS. They've helped me out with hard-to-find parts several times. IIRC one time I was looking for PTO parts or something like that, and one of the guys said "oh yeah, I think I have some more of those, back at the house. call back tomorrow". I did, and he did.

They're good people. They'll help you out of they can.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You need to find an IPL for the blower. The part # Like most Gravely parts have changed at least 3 times. With the 3 part #s for the gear, I was able to find a NOS one on E bay at a reasonable price. Sometimes sellers have something but no idea what its for. But Richard's should be able fix you up.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts