My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Snowcaster for my 222. The seller i asking $150 for it. I was planning to offer $100 due to the 3 hour drive each way. I got a few pictures and I was hoping you all could give me some opinions before I spend the better part of a day on the road.
It looks complete to me but I am not experienced with these.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
looks like it's all there to me,
as far as price and distance both are very reasonable when it comes to Case. I have taken 8 hour one way trips from MA for both tractors and parts, location is everything and it seems not a lot of either for us CT,MA,RI guys.

P.S. I'm looking at a 18 hour round trip for a 48" blower :crybaby::fing32:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I could be mistaken but the leftside of the blower housing looks to be seriously rusted and deformed. That would be a major problem to fix ...

:fing32:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that rust in the bottom corner. I was hoping it was only surface rust and the angle of the picture.
The same guy also has this tractor for sale. He says its a 16hp case hydro. It looks like a black frame 222 to me. He wants 500 for the tractor 42 inch deck and the blower. I am thinking it might be worth grabbing the set and trying to sell the tractor and deck. Maybe I end up with the blower for free:drunkie:

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
I paid $75.00 for mine.
And after using it for half the winter I needed two pulleys.
But that is a fair price just make sure everything spins freely.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yes, it could just be a reflection in the photo. The package deal sounds like a good route to explore. Maybe try to talk him down a little so you are both happy when you leave with it all on the trailer ...

:trink40:

·
Registered
690 Posts
The package sounds good to me. I paid $150 for my snowcaster in decent shape, although I do need to adjust it or repair the auger to make it throw farther.

If you get him down to 400 on that package you'd be making out, even at the asking price you can sell the package sans the snowcaster for the same price, and end up with a free snowcaster like you said.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I made the trip. It was a really nice little old guy that LOVED his tractors. I think he was happy to see the set going to a good home and only wanted $250. At that price I might even be able to convince the wife to let me keep the second tractor.:trink40:
I got an L46 deck in need of some serious love. It is missing the entire center spindle assembly, mule and the shrouds. I will probably sell this to someone who needs to replace a rotten deck but has good parts.
A 38 inch snowcaster in good shape and complete. I will probably tune this up and add the rubber wipers before winter hits.
And a black fame 222. So far it looks great. The exhaust is broken just after it mounts to the motor, but that seams like the only problem. Is this an easy weld or should I look to replace it?
I think I will try to keep the 222 and use it as my work horse. This way I can try to make my wife's Grandfathers 1972 222 a show tractor in memory of him.

Attachments

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
I think the police are out in front of your house....You Stole that tractor.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Nice that it went to a good home, for great price. I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

I didn't see a closeup of the exhaust problem. Did I miss it? :eek:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Broken exhaust pics. It is completely snapped off about an inch from the motor. Looks to me like someone tried to pop in a few tacks without taking it off and doing it proper. Going to drive it up the road to my welder this afternoon.

Attachments

·
4,007 Posts
^Looks like a failed brazing attempt from what was accessible without taking it apart.. ^

Prolly gonna have to take the tins off to get to the bolts so your welder can do it right.

Not too bad though. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This is a fantastic score, I'm jealous. Not sure how much welding you guys do, but that looks rotted away, I doubt you're going to be able to have that welded, you can't weld rust.

The cops are there cuz I called them on you :D

·
4,007 Posts
This is a fantastic score, I'm jealous. Not sure how much welding you guys do, but that looks rotted away, I doubt you're going to be able to have that welded, you can't weld rust.

The cops are there cuz I called them on you :D
Sure, just chop out a bit, and section a new piece of exhaust pipe in there. You are right though , rust does not weld very well at all. :fing32: A bit of elbow grease and a flapper wheel can do amazing things.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I get people in the shop all the time that want me to weld their pipe back in their muffler, or weld their rotted split muffler back together, and they get all pissy because I tell them that's not possible. "can't you just weld it back together?" no there's nothing left of it.

Looks like from that pic there's no solid metal left, but hopefully I'm wrong. Replacing a small section may be possible, but just trying to weld that together will not work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely going to need a small new piece. It is hard to tell if the majority of the damage was from rust or maybe they "welded" it full of holes and it was just a crack at first. The pieces dont mate right now due to a hug chunk of slag from the previous weld.

Is there anything wrong with using it for now without the exhaust. I am just about to do a full fluid change and would love to put her through her paces a bit, but dont want to risk hurting the motor. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts