My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an owners manual for this deck. It's an old deck with the 2 gear boxes. Can some one tell me if the blades need to be in time, or can they go in any position? Also the parts sheet I found..sears calls for a blade p/n 965R..I have orderd a set of after market blades p/n 95-013 that is suposed to replace sears 7874H which the mower deck looks a lot like mine. Anyone have a crosss reference number for those blades 965R ?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
in my signature, click on the "better manuals" link- on the left of the screen, there are two navigation dropdowns- select sears tractor and sears mower decks- the manual is in there.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've got the 38-inch gearbox deck on my Custom 10XL. The blades definitely need to be running 90-degrees out of phase or they will strike each other. Sorry, can't help you with the part crossing ... though I'll see if I have a copy of the deck manual when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The blades need be at 90 to each other. It has to do with balance for the rotating parts and also to minimize the chance of blades hitting each other. (some other angle will also avoid contact, but the 90 "sweeps" the grass best out of the chute).

As far as replacements I am using replacement Oregon blades 95-013 on my 38" gearbox deck & ST-10 with good results.

I also replaced the "breakaway" washers (which are supposed to "give" if the blade hits an object) with new ones I ordered from Jack's small engines. The blades you ordered should fit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blades need be at 90 to each other. It has to do with balance for the rotating parts and also to minimize the chance of blades hitting each other. (some other angle will also avoid contact, but the 90 "sweeps" the grass best out of the chute).

As far as replacements I am using replacement Oregon blades 95-013 on my 38" gearbox deck & ST-10 with good results.

I also replaced the "breakaway" washers (which are supposed to "give" if the blade hits an object) with new ones I ordered from Jack's small engines. The blades you ordered should fit.
Yeah I ordered those blades and the adapters and new spring washers from Jacks , they should be in in the next day or so. Jacks is only about 9 miles from me.

·
Registered
891 Posts
GT_80 has the manual for the 917.252031 deck. Mine is the 917.252010. Overall they look pretty comparable. PM me if you'd like me to email you a PDF of the '010.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GT_80 has the manual for the 917.252031 deck. Mine is the 917.252010. Overall they look pretty comparable. PM me if you'd like me to email you a PDF of the '010.
I got one online, they are similar but not the same. I have the deck on and waiting for new blades and washers and grease seal. I just hope the blades work, it's hars to find a cross reference number for the blades.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't say much for the deck lift handle...no wonder they changed those. I have the one where you push the whole handle down to release it from the notches. Maybe I need a stronger spring , When I raise it to the high possition(which is forward) it's hard to get it to sring into the notch. I guess you have to adjust it before getting on the tractor which is a feat in it's self unlesss you want to step on the mower deck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mine mower deck is about 40 years old. The spring in the handle is tired and could be replaced.

I just "dribbled" some 30 wt motor oil down into the height adjustment tube around the "button" and let it seep down to lube everything. [ I'm sure WD-40 would work too, I just had the "oil can" out ]

I got some rusty fluid dripping out the bottom, but it works a bit better now.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have a set of used blades, 2 break away washers and a couple used splind couplings for those decks if someone is interested in a cheap fix.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine mower deck is about 40 years old. The spring in the handle is tired and could be replaced.

I just "dribbled" some 30 wt motor oil down into the height adjustment tube around the "button" and let it seep down to lube everything. [ I'm sure WD-40 would work too, I just had the "oil can" out ]

I got some rusty fluid dripping out the bottom, but it works a bit better now.
Mine is just a handle with the spring under it, there isn't a button to push. You have to push the whole handle down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts