My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2000 LT155 and am confused as to what maintenance is required for the 38" mower deck. The manual covers lubrication for spindles on the Freedom 42" and the 48C, but doesn't say anything about the 38". I also don't see any grease zerks on the deck. Do the spindles on this deck not require any kind of lubrication? I'm sure something needs lubrication because when I engage the mower, there is a squeal for a second or so, but I'm not sure what needs lubrication or how often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm new to the forum as well but I just dealt with this problem on my L120. Do a search on this and you'll find a lot of good information. To make a long story short the spindles without grease fittings tend to quickly wear out. Take your belt off and spin and wiggle the blade. They should spin freely with a minimum of side to side motion. I installed grease fittings on my spindles before they wore out. It's an easy job at least on the L120 deck. If the spindle is bad they can be bought for about $40 each. Get this - the replacement spindles have grease fittings already installed hmmm.

Mark

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
have you checked the blade belt for proper adjustment if all is good with the belt then you definately have a spindle issue also when checking the spindles listen and feel for any roughness in the bearings if any roughness is felt or heard then replace them as no ammount of grease will help after that point

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I'll try searching this site again (searched before but didn't come up with anything relevant). I think the noise comes from the belt slipping when the blades are first engaged. Is that avoidable (it seems like there would have to be a small amount of slippage when the belt first catches).

·
Registered
204 Posts
as said,turn deck upside down to view blades.grab blade on each side and pul back and forth.if you feel a lot of play ,the spindle bearings are gone on that blade.a very tiny movement is ok on used spindle bearing but a lot is not.

usually a spindle bearing will go anytime after 4 years old.try to keep that area free of grass so spindle bearing does not heat up as bad and keep blades balanced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts