My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 3720 JD with 60 hours on it. I bent a draft link today and was wondering how often these things bend. I thought something else would be the weaker link.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/icons/help.gif
Yesterday I used my FEL to dig into an 8' berm of topsoil that has been sitting for 20 years or so. I made two piles about 7 feet high about 30 feet apart. I then started hauling these piles to another location using my FEL and also a 30 dirt scoop for the back of the tractor.

I would get a load of dirt in the FEL and then back into the other dirt pile for the dirt scoop. If the scoop wasn't full enough, I would back into it again until it was plumb full. The problem is, after about 10-15 trips top the dirt pile, I noticed the right draft link was bent pretty bad.

I took it to the dealer and the mechanic said he never saw on bend and that usually the telescoping stabilizer would give first. He said the warranty should cover it. But, I got a phone call at home from someone else and he said that ir wouldn't be covered unless both were bent. That seemed kind of strange to me. Supposedly he is trying to talk to someone at JD to cover it, but he probably won't give it the old college try.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/smilies/greendr.gif
Anyway, has anyone else had any problems with those bending.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
both have to be bent before warranty?.... why?... that's like saying: we won't warranty replace your bad injector, until all 4 are bad.
That's ridiculous.

The only reason I can think of why it would bend so easily, is if someone at the factory missed the heat-treatment, or whatever hardening treatment they use on that one.... meaning: it's bad quality from the factory.

good luck with this!

·
Registered
346 Posts
So with this dirt scoop you are "pushing" into the pile by backing up? The 3PH is designed to Pull, not Push. If you keep doing that you risk breaking the castings where the arms (both lower and upper) attach.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I can see how everything would be stronger by driving ahead, but then why have the bucket's reversible. Also, they are selling buckets and don't care what breaks.

I have a hard time believing that backing into a pile of loose dirt would bend something like that. I guess I'll have to do some ciphering on my bucket filling techniques.

I considered a bad heat treat job, but either way, I never heard of anything like those bending unless an implement unhooks from one side.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts