My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law has a 345 that is hard to start. When it does start, it takes a lot of throttle "nursing" to keep running. I took off the hood and the access plate in front of the carb/muffler area. I noticed the carb leaks a little fuel around the top of the float bowl where it meets the carb body. He had a small engine mechanic go through the carb last year and said it ran great during last years snowblowing season. After the snow was gone, he parked the machine for the spring and summer. Now he needs it up and running for this years session of winter. And guess who got nominated for fixing it? So, does anyone out there have any ideas on the fix for this tractor? I know he is pushing for a carb kit, but it sounds like it may be something simple to fix. (Me and carb work are not the best of friends).

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
the carb is dirty again, and if you check the fuel filter and fuel system I bet you will find pieces of erroded rubber in the lines.

the 345 hates ethanol laced fuel, check the complete fuel system all the way back to the tank, and check the rubber grommets and the pickup tubes at the tank, replace the fuel lines both pickup and return...

good news is it can all be replaxced for about 50$...

then get a carb kit and rebuild the carb one last time!

my rubber grommets on the gas tank were actually sticky, actually disolving from the ethanol...

just my experience.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I was suspecting the breakdown of the fuel as part of the problem, especially because it sat 8 months with old gas in it. I got thinking after my original post that there's crud in the needle seat and/or junk in the orifices. It probably seeps at the bowl because the gasket is dried out?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Idle jets are clogged due to stale fuel. You can get that in 30-60 days if the fuel didn't have stabilizer in it. Even at full throttle you are running on the idle circuits until you actual put the engine under load and it transitions to the main jet.

Siphon out the fuel tank and put in some fuel mixed heavy with SeaFoam. Run that through it and it might save it w/o having to tear the carb down. Also working it (mowing) might help too as that will move more fuel through the carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts