My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**DISCLAMER** I got this call from my son who was mowing today, I have not been home to actually see this yet.

Apparently my JD 345 (newer, 20HP Kawa engine) started blowing oil out of the dipstick today in the middle of my son mowing the lawn. My first thought is that it's either PCV clogged, head gasket blew or compression ring busted. He said that coolant level was fine and no idiot lights were on.

Is this a common failure, and what would be the first thing to check? I understand the PCV may be hard to get to on this engine??

Oh and thanks in advance, this is my first post here - I had no idea this forum even existed until I got the call.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Is the dip stick there or not screwed on tight? not trying to be a wise guy it has happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... again I am not home yet, but he claimed he was mowing for an hour and it started to "smoke and oil came out of the dipstick" My first question was whether it was tight and he said "YES"... I will know more this evening, but it sure sounds to me like pressure building up in the crankcase.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same thing happened on my 280 a couple of years ago as well as puking it out the carb. It was under warrranty so I took it to the dealer and they said I had to much oil in it. It had been at 15-20 hours since I had changed the oil so I told them they were nuts but it never happened again .

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
VRodPete , :Welcome1: !!!

Is the black Rubber Gasket missing in the top of the Dipstick ???

Later,x595

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check the breather. If clogged, it would cause this. And I wouldnt run it like that...it can blow out other gaskets that can get expensive to replace.

-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys. My worries were terribly unfounded and you guys hit the nail right on the head. When I got home I found an unbelievably dirty and oily tractor, that had puked out over a quart of oil. When I questioned my son he claimed to have checked the oil before he started mowing, and clearly he just didn't tighten the cap all the way (or possibly at all).

Refill with oil, checked it out and all is good. I now have a teenager scheduled for a tractor degrease and wash job today :D

VRP

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
You are very brave to let someone clean your tractor that didn't know enough to screw the oil dipstick in.:banghead3
:sorry1: I would supervise if I were you:00000060: degreaser IN the engine could be bad. :fing20:

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Lucky it didn't run out of oil that water cooled motor would have cost your son a lot of push mowing. I did that once with my new CV15 Kohler Command Pro. I had changed oil and filter and didn't tighten the cap, it doesn't take long to make a oily mess, luckily theres no hood on the walk behind.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like something my son would do to get out of work, and he is only 5. Can't wait until those teenage years.lol. "not" I'll probably have to strap a TV to the steering wheel to get him to mow when he gets older. On second thought, I might do that for me..lol....

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies guys. My worries were terribly unfounded and you guys hit the nail right on the head. When I got home I found an unbelievably dirty and oily tractor, that had puked out over a quart of oil. When I questioned my son he claimed to have checked the oil before he started mowing, and clearly he just didn't tighten the cap all the way (or possibly at all).

Refill with oil, checked it out and all is good. I now have a teenager scheduled for a tractor degrease and wash job today :D

VRP

My 23 year old son did the same thing earlier this summer, and I got the "But Dad, I did tighten it all back down!" defense. Funny, I added the oil and tighened it and it hasn't happened again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts