My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any easy fix or test?

works fine in 2nd and 4th

picked this one up today for $140..runs good..

needs a gas cap and a carb rebuild.

also whines when in reverse..assuming it's the brake band...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe just shuttle adjustment??

also the pully/? that the brake band goes on is kind of loose/wobbly....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it in to 1st...now can't get it out...

do I need to do the bent screwdriver trick I've heard about? any tutorials on that?

thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sounds like a transmission issue.
I missed your last post. Go gentle on it. The bent screwdriver trick may help but I suspect it was another issue. Usually when you. Need the screwdriver it is because the transmission stays in a particular gear regardless of shifter position, and will also shift into he other three gears as well lacking up the transmission. Tractor will only move with shifter in the gear it is stuck in or in the neutral position. Rough handling will often result in bending the shifter forks leading to the shifting peg slipping off the forks. Best videos on YouTube by Zippo Varden.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Is it loose separate from the pulleys or are the pulleys also wobbly?

Pull the cap off the drum and see if the 3/4" jamb nut is tight.

Btw: that is a gorgeous tractor....hope you get her sorte out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

It is loose seperate from the pulleys..i will pop the drum off soon and check it out!

I will also remove the neutral safety switch....

any ideas on getting the shifter un stuck?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i removed the safety switch....still seems like the gears are stuck in the tranny...i'll have to try the screwdriver trick i guess.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Does it drive in neutral? If it does then determine which gear it is stuck in and use the screwdriver trick. Be gentle with the shifter in future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This is what i see when looking in the top hole in the transmission. the shifter pin is stuck and won't move in to neutral or any other gear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i brought the tractor to a guy that works on mowers for a side job...he just let me know that i should come and pick up the tractor because he couldn't fix it.....

not sure if i should try to do something with it myself or take it to a dealer to see if they can fix it....

thoughts?

or do i just look for a replacement transmission?

·
Registered
419 Posts
If nothing else take the right side of the transaxle case off and you will be able to see what the problem is. My guess is it's nothing major.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts