My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many are aware my 2520 is in for repairs so I have been using the 3320 for about a week or so, there are many things I really miss about the 2520 and I have little seat time on a 3320, although I have put more on in the past week than the past 18 months as she is generally with another crew.

Today's job, spread 38 yards of crusher run, I started this project a month ago but haven't been able to get the right rock for the driveway due to highway construction.

The client didn't like their narrow driveway, it wasn't crowned, the culvert was too narrow and they were buying a 30 foot travel trailer and needed an area excavated to park it, so all of that was done while we waited for the rock.

I always do these jobs with the 2520 as it's easy to get around however this one is wide open, after friggin around for a few moments I found the sweet spot for the top link and the depth control, it's second nature on the 2520 as I do so many of these.

If someone were to ask me what the main difference is between these two tractors, one word Traction, this 3320 is shocking, drop the box blade and go, where I may have to make a few pass's with the 2520 this thing just takes it and runs. Power in my experience is never the issue, I even use a BB on the X749, it is always traction.

Anyhow a few pics
1) Start of the project, 19 yards has already been dumped
2) Image 2 & 3 my quarry supplier probably has 60 trucks however there are 5 or 6 drivers there I always ask for as they really know their stuff when it comes to spreader chains, a good driver can save me over an hour per load, get a rookie and it can be a mess getting everything the way I like it
3)It only took me 1 hr and 15 min to complete the BB work, she is now ready for compacting, generally I would be about 3 hours at this point
4) The 3320 - I put a rock on all the BB for two reasons, first is down pressure which the 2000 series does not have, second is ballast, we carry some insane weights in the buckets at times and the ballast box even with cement isn't heavy enough for the 2520 or 2570
5) We are finished.

Client is happy:) My helper and I spent the afternoon on a tree cleanup job, I am not kidding when I say we will be there until the snow flies, the place is a mess with downfall....I will work there a couple of days then send in a different crew as I like variety!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice work and, as always, I enjoy your pics.

I like those 3X20s. I saw a 3520 at a dealer recently. It had a backhoe on it and I really liked the way I felt on it. It would be a lot for the property I have but I must say I've been thinking trading up for it. Even though I love the 2305 I sometimes feel a bit under gunned. Its not the 2305s fault mind you but I guess I just ask too much sometimes. For instance, yesterday I sold a harrow I had. When I went to put it into the pick up for the buyer I had a **** of time lifting it with the bucket. I couldn't get it high enough. I think it weighed close to 600 pounds. I finally got it on the truck but needed to use the a hill in the yard and even then I had to get it up on the tailgate section instead of over the side of the truck. And, I know the 2305 really wasn't made for a one bottom plow but I still do a little plowing with it. Power is there but just a little light in weight so I spin a lot. Again, no beef with the 2305. That sucker is strong. Just I guess I want it all sometimes. I'm sure I'd have issues with the larger size and weight of the 3X20s and want something more nimble sometime.

I cant help it though. That 3520 just calls to me when I drive past the dealers!

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Nice pics Andy! That driveway really turned out great!

Ursa Majpr, I test drove the 3720 cab and fell in love with it. The hydralics are
so powerful compared to what I have. I am not knocking the 2305, it has been
great. Maybe it needs a big brother in the future.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work and, as always, I enjoy your pics.

I like those 3X20s. I saw a 3520 at a dealer recently. It had a backhoe on it and I really liked the way I felt on it. It would be a lot for the property I have but I must say I've been thinking trading up for it. Even though I love the 2305 I sometimes feel a bit under gunned. Its not the 2305s fault mind you but I guess I just ask too much sometimes. For instance, yesterday I sold a harrow I had. When I went to put it into the pick up for the buyer I had a **** of time lifting it with the bucket. I couldn't get it high enough. I think it weighed close to 600 pounds. I finally got it on the truck but needed to use the a hill in the yard and even then I had to get it up on the tailgate section instead of over the side of the truck. And, I know the 2305 really wasn't made for a one bottom plow but I still do a little plowing with it. Power is there but just a little light in weight so I spin a lot. Again, no beef with the 2305. That sucker is strong. Just I guess I want it all sometimes. I'm sure I'd have issues with the larger size and weight of the 3X20s and want something more nimble sometime.

I cant help it though. That 3520 just calls to me when I drive past the dealers!
We have a 3520 with a backhoe, man that thing is sweet. I used it a few times in the early season while lawns were still soft to dig stumps, the hoe on this thing has amazing power and is really smooth vs the 2305.

I'm fortunate in that I can so many tractors I can pick and choose what I need for the job, if I had only one I would probably never be satisfied as I push these units to their limits on a regular basis and enjoy the play time, however I like to be able to figure out how to accomplish a task the tractor/excavator might not be rated to do.

I have a friend who owns an excavation company, he only runs really big excavators, our biggest is a 5 ton, most of his are 20 ton+, so it works well in that if he has small jobs requiring our excavators we do it and sometimes we have big jobs needing his so we work together a little. He called me a week ago in a jam for an operator for his CAT 320, I agreed to work the day and did the job for him. He stopped by at the end of the day and asked what I thought of the real excavator, we laughed a bit and I said Rob, she is an amazing machine but I will never own one, I find it fun to have to figure out how to get a bolder out that the machine is not rated for, this thing you just point it, drop the bucket and keep going, not a lot of fun in the seat.

I was thinking yesterday while driving the 3320 it is somewhat the same based on the job I was doing, it just does it....I like play time on customer sites:)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice pics Andy! That driveway really turned out great!

Ursa Majpr, I test drove the 3720 cab and fell in love with it. The hydralics are
so powerful compared to what I have. I am not knocking the 2305, it has been
great. Maybe it needs a big brother in the future.:thThumbsU
It's like having children, always best to have two so that they have someone to play with, I think the same holds true for tractors, I settled with two children but have an old fashion family when it comes to tractors....LOL

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
It's like having children, always best to have two so that they have someone to play with, I think the same holds true for tractors, I settled with two children but have an old fashion family when it comes to tractors....LOL
Thats why I keep 3 in my stable and the ones that dont play well sit out side.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
hey Andy, glad to hear you're still havin a blast. Can you haul the 3520 on a landscape trailer or is it just too heavy? I'm getting ready to finally pull the trigger I think and wonder am I going to have to buy a new trailer to go with it. my landscape trailer is a really heavy built tube frame with ramps built into the tail gate 16 foot tandem axle.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey Andy, glad to hear you're still havin a blast. Can you haul the 3520 on a landscape trailer or is it just too heavy? I'm getting ready to finally pull the trigger I think and wonder am I going to have to buy a new trailer to go with it. my landscape trailer is a really heavy built tube frame with ramps built into the tail gate 16 foot tandem axle.

Thanks
Jim
Jim, My Landscape trailers are 10,000 pounds so yes no problems, the one in the image is a 16,000 pound has 18" wheels.

The Landscape trailers will pull even the 3720 however I am thinking of selling them as I like the flatbeds far more, they really pull nice and the bigger tires last twice as long as the 15" on the LS ones, I sold all our lawn care accounts except two private subdivisions, sold the X500 and two trailers with it, no money in mowing lawns and honestly it's just a headache, we have so many other things on the go I can't be bothered.

As long as you have brakes on the trailer, I would also encourage you to put weight distribution bars on, if you get any sway or roll, the Tambor system on the leafs is not only cheap, it stops all movement, I also run 6 ply sidewall tires on the trucks, OMG they are expensive but they are worth it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I also run 6 ply sidewall tires on the trucks, OMG they are expensive but they are worth it.
6 Ply? Isnt that just a load range C tire? I would think you would want 10 ply load range E tires. I run them on my F150 (has 3/4 ton suspension) and love them. Last longer and wear better imo. Andy, what do you use for a truck to haul the 3320?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
yep brakes are a must for sure. my trailer is only a 7k lb trailer though, well the axles are 3500 lb axles anyway. Pretty sure I can haul 5k well enough as long as I don't tear up the trailer loading and unloading. my trailer pull just fine with no sway unless the weight balance is a little to the rear...did that once and scared the poo outta me. I've been thinking about the tires, I've been wearing out tires on that trailer left and right. thought about going with 16 inch rims and heavier duty tires. if I can find rims I may just do that.
As for not making money mowing, I've found just the opposite down here, as long as you aren't competing with the unlicensed uninsured guys there's good money in maintenance...especially chemicals. my business has not seen the growth yours has, but I've at least tripled my business this year over last. Won't know the hard numbers until December but I'm guessing roughly 3x's growth year over year.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2) Image 2 & 3 my quarry supplier probably has 60 trucks however there are 5 or 6 drivers there I always ask for as they really know their stuff when it comes to spreader chains said:
very true. i work for our county's secondary roads and it takes time to get the hang of dumping rock with the chains and getting it evenly spread. on the roads you have to get it right the first time and not leave humps at the beginning or end because it's a pain to have to call a road grader out to smooth out your mistake. we always laugh cause alot of guys think they are big s*** because they are dump truck drivers, well 90% have never dumped rock with the chains going 25 mph. lets just say the box gets a mind of its own with 16-18 tons in the air above you. pretty much don't wanna see whats happening in your mirrors, ( box is in the left mirror, oh now its in the right mirror, and now back to the left mirror) some rough spots can make your butt pucker :) anyways, my rant is over. as always your work is amazing and i think i speak for many when i say i am jealous of you and your "toys". keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6 Ply? Isnt that just a load range C tire? I would think you would want 10 ply load range E tires. I run them on my F150 (has 3/4 ton suspension) and love them. Last longer and wear better imo. Andy, what do you use for a truck to haul the 3320?
I asked the guys at a tire speciality shop back in April of last year what they would suggest, they are a Goodyear 6 ply light truck tire, they work excellent although road noise takes some time to get used to.

We have two Rangers, standard with the trailer package and the 4 litre V6, I forget what I am running for gears but I had them changed by a neighbour, most people don't believe it until they see it, the local Deere dealership doesn't believe what I roll in with sometimes....but I pull on a regular basis 6,800 pounds with them, I have pulled our 27D excavator short distances which is really too much, you are looking at over 8,000 pounds and not really smart on my part.

We have a Dodge Ram with the Hemi, it's an automatic, it has crazy pulling ability, we pull up to 13,000 pounds with it and it honestly plays with it on the highway.

Before the Ram I was looking at bigger trucks, I ruled out Ford. At the time I had two guys who would float our bigger excavators for me, one has a F250 Gas, the other an F250 diesel, not sure on the years but they are not more than two years old, pulling the 27D on a trailer on the highway, about 9,000 pounds, on hills they would both cut back to 85km/hr (about 48 m.p.h.) then one day my friend from Deere brought my 27D on my trailer with this 1500 RAM, I asked questions, basically could not believe what he was saying so I took it for a drive. We have some pretty steep hills on the highway so I knew where to head, not only did I hardly know I was pulling anything, it went up the highway hill at 120km/hr (about 72 m.p.h.) I was sold.

I have a truck about due for tires, I run them down 70% and then buy new, I will ask Charlie about 10 ply and see what he says, appreciate the information.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep brakes are a must for sure. my trailer is only a 7k lb trailer though, well the axles are 3500 lb axles anyway. Pretty sure I can haul 5k well enough as long as I don't tear up the trailer loading and unloading. my trailer pull just fine with no sway unless the weight balance is a little to the rear...did that once and scared the poo outta me. I've been thinking about the tires, I've been wearing out tires on that trailer left and right. thought about going with 16 inch rims and heavier duty tires. if I can find rims I may just do that.
As for not making money mowing, I've found just the opposite down here, as long as you aren't competing with the unlicensed uninsured guys there's good money in maintenance...especially chemicals. my business has not seen the growth yours has, but I've at least tripled my business this year over last. Won't know the hard numbers until December but I'm guessing roughly 3x's growth year over year.
I think you will be fine, in my experience the bigger the rim you can get the better they pull and handle loads, I used to wonder why in the heck one needed 16, 17, 18, 19" tires, now I understand.

There is money (profit) in mowing, don't get me wrong and our mowing was growing leaps and bounds however there is not the money in it I make doing other homeowner jobs, I still spray them all as that is crazy profit. What I was finding because we had so many accounts and our market was the upper end of the city, homeowners basically wanted their lawn to look like a golf course when staff left, finding trimmer guys/gals with an eye for detail was driving me around the bend so I decided after a long time to keep our big accounts and shed the rest.

For me the money is in hardscaping and landscaping, Organic spraying, fall leaf collection with these Dr. Vac's, pressure washing, excavation, silviculture/chipping and driveway construction. We do other things, basically anything a homeowner needs done outside I have someone on staff that is very experience at doing it.

The trunk slammers come and go, I haven't been hungry for work since we started so if someone didn't like my estimate then it didn't bother me at all, there are also certain areas in the city I didn't waste my time offering quotes, I stuck to the upper middle class for the majority of our work and upper class for the landscaping/gardens etc. I had hundreds of contacts in these areas from my banking days so I was able to hit the ground running, very little advertising, all word of mouth or people walking/driving by or seeing our equipment on the highway/gas station/ coffee gathering spot. It amazes me the number of calls I get driving (Yes I use hands free) "we are driving behind you and wondering if you could give us an estimate for...." When I start pulling the commercial leaf collectors, I get calls from people following us/passing us at least four times a day, it is the funniest thing to me:)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the RAM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I"m pretty much there with advertising too. I've had people follow me home to ask if we'd do something! I put an ad in with a friend that does kids consignment sales last year. cost me $30 for her to hand out flyers. Someone in the right place got one and I've been very blessed from that chance encounter. other than that ad it's all word of mouth or someone seeing the truck. Honestly if I could switch to all chemicals I'd drop the mowing today, but I like being able to provide that total service and most customers that get it like it better too. instead of the chemical guy coming once a month and possibly missing timing on something like say the army worm problem I see it much sooner and can control it before it gets bad.

I do agree though, there's a lot more money in landscape install but it's just too hard to stay busy with that these days. maybe it's just working out for me to be able to build my business slowly while the economy recovers. everything I buy I pay cash for so that's a real blessing.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Andy,

Great photos, as usual. I really enjoy seeing your equipment and projects, and appreciate the time you take to explain things.

Nova Scotia is beautiful country. The year I graduated from college my younger brother and I took a summer bicycle trip up that way along the south eastern coast. Gorgeous. Keep the photos coming!

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Thanks again Andy! Yep, we do enjoy (vicariously) your work. I know what you mean about spreading gravel - last time I got some, the driver told me his company only let a few drivers try to spread from the truck; he wasn't one of them. He said having a few trucks to flip over while trying to spread stops that!

And, (GADeere too) speaking of lawn, landscaping, etc., I am probably going to semi-retire next year (health issues), and would really like to be able to use my 2210, rear finish mower and PTO tiller to take on just a few small jobs. Just cutting a few places that might be too big for regular lawn mowers with the rear finish mower, and tilling small garden spots for people. I really have to work at my own pace, but really do like what tractor time I can get.

Thanks again for these photos!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts