My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hmm, I believe we have a misunderstanding.

When you first put your key in, it is in the "OFF" position. Nothing happens here.

One click to the right puts you in the "RUN" position. This enables the fuel injection system, hour meter, and turns on the oil, battery and glow plug lights.

One further click to the right (as far right as the key will go) puts you in the "START" position. This engages the starter to crank the engine, and also turns on the high coolant temperature and low fuel quantity annunciators.

Releasing the key from the START position and allowing it to return to the RUN position (under spring pressure) extinguishes the temperature and fuel indications, unless you have an overheating engine and/or low fuel condition.

Or, at least this is how my 332 works. I know this because I always verify all the idiot lights are working during startup. Perhaps earlier or later years are different?
Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things and potentially giving you bad advice, I went out to my 332 and tried it. This is with the PTO switch ON (to inhibit actually cranking the the engine) and with the key held all the way over to the START position, WITHOUT waiting for the glowplug light to go out. Shown here are low oil pressure, battery discharge, high coolant temp, low fuel quantity and glow plug lights all lit up.

·
4,159 Posts
Leaky seal have completely saturated the new shoes with oil. Will buy new rather than shop for used. Shoes on both sides will be similar in condition. Costly yes but agree with your decision.
Just buy a bag of Speedi Dri and open it and put the brake shoes in for a few days...I think You will be surprised how they come out....if you don't want a whole bag of Speedi Dry ...just go to a store that sells pet supplies ( WalMart?) and get a bag of Kitty Litter...it's the same stuff ....and the brake shoes will smell good.......also ...do you find the information in the manual on how to adjust the brakes to be incorrect?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm so upset, I was checking my recondition radiator that I purchased at eBay on Dec 2,2019. It was pressured tested so he saids. I email him back and forth I took pictures of my old radiator to make sure it's going to fit. He said that you will have no problem with this, I guarantee you won't send it back yeah right. I go out to take a look at the bottom of radiator opposite of the drain plug i sée antifreeze very little bit. The radiator cost me with shipping and taxes $426.48. John Deere new radiator $810.00!!!! Crazy. So this was the cheaper option. Does it make sense to send it back and pay $50 bucks shipping and handling ? or should I just go to a local radiator shop to have it repaired? This radiator was a rare find recondition. Any thoughts gladly appreciate it. Thank you.
I found another radiator shop 50 miles away name Jame's Campbell's Radiator's in Allentown,PA. He told me that he could refurbish my old radiator $340 with 2 year warranty ! My local radiator shop in Flemington,NJ told me a lie that my original radiator was junk! Jim the owner salt of the earth type of guy said the money is made making custom radiators not refurbishing. I should have got another opinion before searching on Ebay. Lesson learn.

·
Registered
911 Posts
An operator's manual is exactly what it states "operate". These are things you need to know to safely and correctly operate your machine. For troubleshooting or repair, Deere wants you to go your dealer! Some people must go to a dealer as they don't have the ability...either mentally, physically, or equipment wise... nor the want to repair, and then there are those that are here! And that's why most of us are here, to either get info or to supply info! Bob

·
Registered
911 Posts
Beast, Sounds good, but learn from your first error! Look around for another radiator shop! You may find a better price or a better warranty, or neither! But look! You can always go to James! Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
An operator's manual is exactly what it states "operate". These are things you need to know to safely and correctly operate your machine. For troubleshooting or repair, Deere wants you to go your dealer! Some people must go to a dealer as they don't have the ability...either mentally, physically, or equipment wise... nor the want to repair, and then there are those that are here! And that's why most of us are here, to either get info or to supply info! Bob
Yes that's true. I always love working with my hands & learn from all of you all this forum.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Beast, Sounds good, but learn from your first error! Look around for another radiator shop! You may find a better price or a better warranty, or neither! But look! You can always go to James! Bob
I'm a little rusty haven't had to search or replace a radiator in almost 25 years!

·
Registered
304 Posts
An operator's manual is exactly what it states "operate". These are things you need to know to safely and correctly operate your machine. For troubleshooting or repair, Deere wants you to go your dealer!
Yeah but as an operator I do check my idiot lights when starting the tractor, same as I do on anything else I run. I just thought that would have been included in the OM so the operator knows to watch and make sure those two work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah but as an operator I do check my idiot lights when starting the tractor, same as I do on anything else I run. I just thought that would have been included in the OM so the operator knows to watch and make sure those two work.
Science burrito on YouTube said that's normal for the 332.

I'm HB asking the question.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found another radiator shop 50 miles away name Jame's Campbell's Radiator's in Allentown,PA. He told me that he could refurbish my old radiator $340 with 2 year warranty ! My local radiator shop in Flemington,NJ told me a lie that my original radiator was junk! Jim the owner salt of the earth type of guy said the money is made making custom radiators not refurbishing. I should have got another opinion before searching on Ebay. Lesson learn.
Beast, I saw another radiator shop in NJ near Somerville, they claim to repair radiators for GT's. I found it last year thru a Google search when I thought my 332 was over heating, after a radiator flush it seemed to have helped. I'll see this season when it turns really hot and I cut the grass. Anyway if you find a good shop in this area, please let us know.
Henry from Branchburg NJ.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Beast, I saw another radiator shop in NJ near Somerville, they claim to repair radiators for GT's. I found it last year thru a Google search when I thought my 332 was over heating, after a radiator flush it seemed to have helped. I'll see this season when it turns really hot and I cut the grass. Anyway if you find a good shop in this area, please let us know.
Henry from Branchburg NJ.
Thanks Henri,
Art's Radiator gave me bad advice. He said my radiator was bad unfixable junk. I found James Campbell's Radiator in Allentown,Pa will repair the core & re solder top & bottom tanks $340 with 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had my 430GT radiator recored in Pittsburgh last year. I think it was $450ish - quality work. $340 is a good deal.

I think the only time a rad is junk is if the top and bottom are bad - which rarely happens. Finding a shop that recores is getting more difficult though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
beast, this is the radiator place that I'm talking about.
They are in Somerville.

E & J Auto Radiator & AC Services
I live in Holland twp E & J Auto Radiator & James Campbell's about equal distance. I can't wait JD 332 tractor all apart $1600 invested so far. Thank God I got it free.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I had my 430GT radiator recored in Pittsburgh last year. I think it was $450ish - quality work. $340 is a good deal.

I think the only time a rad is junk is if the top and bottom are bad - which rarely happens. Finding a shop that recores is getting more difficult though.
Got that right they're hard to find now.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts