My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay thanks I'll just use air compressor that's all.
I'm so upset, I was checking my recondition radiator that I purchased at eBay on Dec 2,2019. It was pressured tested so he saids. I email him back and forth I took pictures of my old radiator to make sure it's going to fit. He said that you will have no problem with this, I guarantee you won't send it back yeah right. I go out to take a look at the bottom of radiator opposite of the drain plug i sée antifreeze very little bit. The radiator cost me with shipping and taxes $426.48. John Deere new radiator $810.00!!!! Crazy. So this was the cheaper option. Does it make sense to send it back and pay $50 bucks shipping and handling ? or should I just go to a local raditor shop to have it repaired? This radiator was a rare find recondition. Any thoughts gladly appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,980 Posts
I'd take to local shop for a look to see if it worth repairing, if it is around the price of shipping then you won't be out much. If not, then send it back for a refund.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks bro,
I reached out to the seller on eBay, with detailed explanation with the pictures I haven't got a reply yet. EBay offers some type of warranty if the product was defected not as described. I got to wait 48 hours before I get them involved if seller doesn't reply.

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
Well that stinks! Especially for that price! :eek:

Yep take it to a local shop and have them take a look and give you a price.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Are you positive it is not coming from the lower hose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks bad to me too. I hope you get refunded. Dont do anything to it until you realize you're stuck with it. Then I would see if a radiator shop could fix it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Regarding the idiot lights...

My 332 will illuminate the oil pressure and battery lights continuously, and the glow plug light for however long it feels like, with the key in the run position.
The temperature and fuel lights only come on when the key is turned to the start position.

Also note that the low fuel warning is pretty archaic, in that it will not light up solid at first but will slowly fade in and out until the fuel level drops low enough that it stays solidly illuminated.

·
Retired Deere Employee
523 Posts
Doesn't ebay have a return policy? Or is that the $50 shipping option you describe. Rip the seller but ebay will erase it ... Gabby

·
Retired Deere Employee
523 Posts
So if the radiator had a leak the seller has offered to reimburse sale price and shipping. Is there a problem? Wouldn't pressure test by repair shop of your choice verify if radiator is defective?

·
Retired Deere Employee
523 Posts
Appears you are working with a reputable seller. Earlier response made it sound like you needed to offer proof it was defective. Sounds like you have resolution other than lost time and still need to find a radiator. Good luck on the search ... Gabby

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm better off purchasing a new radiator for JD. Costly but, base on money spent total $800 is not much from your humble opinion.

·
Retired Deere Employee
523 Posts
I purchase new often rather than spend time shopping for used parts that are of questionable condition. Currently have a 1983 318 apart. Repairing leaky axle seal. A previous owner did a brake job and installed new shoes; $75.00 a pair. Leaky seal have completely saturated the new shoes with oil. Will buy new rather than shop for used. Shoes on both sides will be similar in condition. Costly yes but agree with your decision.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Regarding the idiot lights...

My 332 will illuminate the oil pressure and battery lights continuously, and the glow plug light for however long it feels like, with the key in the run position.
The temperature and fuel lights only come on when the key is turned to the start position.

Also note that the low fuel warning is pretty archaic, in that it will not light up solid at first but will slowly fade in and out until the fuel level drops low enough that it stays solidly illuminated.
I just read the manual it states that 3 lights illuminate with key on position. Oil, battery & glow? plug. Glow plug goes out after it heats up. Temp gauge light comes on above 220F. Fuel gauge comes on low fuel.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just read the manual it states that 3 lights illuminate with key on position. Oil, battery & glow? plug. Glow plug goes out after it heats up. Temp gauge light comes on above 220F. Fuel gauge comes on low fuel.
That is correct. But the temp and fuel lights ALSO come on when the key is turned to the start (not "run" but all the way over to "start") position, this is so the operator can visually verify that the bulbs are not blown. It does NOT test the actual sensors. You can try it by engaging the PTO or something that prevents the engine from cranking, then hold the key all the way over to start and you should see temp and fuel lights come on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That is correct. But the temp and fuel lights ALSO come on when the key is turned to the start (not "run" but all the way over to "start") position, this is so the operator can visually verify that the bulbs are not blown. It does NOT test the actual sensors. You can try it by engaging the PTO or something that prevents the engine from cranking, then hold the key all the way over to start and you should see temp and fuel lights come on.
Manual states only battery,oil & glow plug gauges key in the on position. Not temp or fuel gauges.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Manual states only battery,oil & glow plug gauges key in the on position. Not temp or fuel gauges.
Hmm, I believe we have a misunderstanding.

When you first put your key in, it is in the "OFF" position. Nothing happens here.

One click to the right puts you in the "RUN" position. This enables the fuel injection system, hour meter, and turns on the oil, battery and glow plug lights.

One further click to the right (as far right as the key will go) puts you in the "START" position. This engages the starter to crank the engine, and also turns on the high coolant temperature and low fuel quantity annunciators.

Releasing the key from the START position and allowing it to return to the RUN position (under spring pressure) extinguishes the temperature and fuel indications, unless you have an overheating engine and/or low fuel condition.

Or, at least this is how my 332 works. I know this because I always verify all the idiot lights are working during startup. Perhaps earlier or later years are different?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things and potentially giving you bad advice, I went out to my 332 and tried it. This is with the PTO switch ON (to inhibit actually cranking the the engine) and with the key held all the way over to the START position, WITHOUT waiting for the glowplug light to go out. Shown here are low oil pressure, battery discharge, high coolant temp, low fuel quantity and glow plug lights all lit up.

332.jpg

21 - 40 of 77 Posts