My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I managed to acquire a 33 tiller. I got the tiller itself, mounting hardware, and the pto shaft assembly for $550. The cool thing they were about 15 minutes from my house. (I even got the cool bolts that go on the back of the tractor frame.)

The tiller seems in good shape. I've seen much worse pictured on ebay.

What I did NOT get, was the lift arm, and the funky quarter-round plate thingie (The one with all the holes). Seller didn't have them.

I'm OK with that, I found that Jim's Lawn and Garden has them for a decent price. So I'm good there.

I looked on JDs part site, but it's not readily apparent how the lift arm connects to the plate thingie (if it even does) and/or how the plate thingie connects to the rest of the tiller.

So here's the questions.

1. Anybody got a pdf of the manual they'd be willing to email?

2. If not. Anybody got a picture of their tiller mounted on the tractor? Specifically how that plate thingie and lift rod bolt/connect?

Bonus questions: The tiller came with one extension. Should I keep my eyes open for the second extension? Is it worth the time/effort/money to configure the tiller to max width?

Extra point bonus questions: While I was surfing Jim's, I see he had an integral hitch too. So... Do I need a different lift arm to run the integral hitch? The cool bolts that go on the frame for the tiller, they're the same for the hitch, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
This came up in a search for "John Deere 33 Tiller"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's perfect.

I was wondering why the parts list specified 4 pins/clips.. The first is for the end on the rock-shaft, the other three are in this picture.

Wonderful. Thanks again.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
As far as the 2nd extension goes, I have both on mine and it works very well.

If you look from the back youll see that the tiller is offset with only one extension. With both on there it is centered around the pivot point and this gives you a better balanced tiller.

The tiller is not centered to the tractor, rather it is centered in its mounting position which is offset somewhat. This allows the tiller to be more effective when it encounters hard ground or a rock/root on one end as the other end gets pushed into the ground and stops it from hopping up on one side and not turning up the obstacle.

My 33 is the best tiller I have yet owned and the 2nd extension makes it better IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Live and learn!

I've got the same combo (317 & 33 tiller), but mine didn't come with the yellow triangular shaped plate. I didn't know it even existed.

I'm assuming this is some type of a depth control? Up to now I've just been dropping mine down all the way and it's worked just fine.

FWIW

Stork

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The Half moon Piece of metal with all the holes is , So you can lift the tiller up all the way And pin it in the up position, it will stay up then you can use the hydralics for any other thing Mower/snow blower/ etc. . Some of the early John Deere had just 1 lever . As 140H1; You pin the tiller and use the other attachments. Oh they also make a lifter arm without that drilled Halfmoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts