My Tractor Forum banner

Which one sounds better to you?

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WrongDoug was talking about the Kohlers in the 3000 series sounding like a Harley the other day and I told him the XT3 sounded much more like a Harley than the 3240 due to the big exhaust pipe. I think it's 2.5". Made a video of the 2 running.

I love the sound of the XT3 over the 3240. Both have 22HP Commands. In person the XT3 sounds even deeper as it resonates. I wonder if the XT3 muffler will bolt up to the 3240? Which one do you guys like better?

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the sound of the yellow one...the first one...I read someone describing the exhaust of an idling Harley as going potato, potato, potato
It has a nice lope to it. The first part of that where it sounds skreechy is b/c it lopes so hard it rattles all the tinwork across itself.

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
They both sound like mufflers I'm a Little Tone deaf anyways. So I'll take your word for it. To Many years not wearing ear plug's with live rounds going down range and then when the real stuff Happens(War) You don't ware them anyways. So Your hearing is shot no matter what :)

·
We're all friends here
13,996 Posts
They both sound good in their own way, so no vote. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Had a suspicion and had to look at yer video again. I will hazard a guess and think you used your smartphone to record? The dynamic range of the smartphone microphone isn't the best, they tend to cut off the high and low ends of the spectrum. The XT3 has the output of the muffler towards the garage wall, while the 3240 muffler output is towards a large open space. That will affect how you and the microphone pick up the sound reflections. Roughly 1 foot away from the end of the muffler will give a better sound quality to compare. I also listened to the video sound through my Klipsch Pro Media 3-piece speaker system.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
XT3 sounds better maybe because I have the XT3GSX with the 25hp Kolher. Mine is broke in with a little over 192 hrs now and it is smooth.
Mine doesn't lope like your maybe yours will smooth out after more engine hrs on it I don't know.
I vote XT3

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XT3 sounds better maybe because I have the XT3GSX with the 25hp Kolher. Mine is broke in with a little over 192 hrs now and it is smooth.
Mine doesn't lope like your maybe yours will smooth out after more engine hrs on it I don't know.
I vote XT3
I hope it doesn't smooth out. Love my Harley Cubidson lol. It does sound like a diesel even with a load on it at high idle. Love that muff...ler

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Exhaust lope usually is the result of the cam profile, more overlap equals more lope. I wonder if the 22 and 25 HP Commands have different cams?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally I thought they both sounded nice. Are the two engines the same CC? I know a fairly radical sounding cam in your Buick 350 would sound pretty mellow in the larger 455.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I thought they both sounded nice. Are the two engines the same CC? I know a fairly radical sounding cam in your Buick 350 would sound pretty mellow in the larger 455.
Both are 673CC Kohler Commands. 3240 is 22HP, XT3 is rated at 22.5HP. I think it's just the muffler. 3240 has a 1.5" exhaust tip, XT3 is 2.5".

To me the 3240 sounds like a lawnmower while the XT3 sounds like a diesel. In person the XT3 sounds much deeper than in the video. I used my phone b/c that's all i have but in person the difference is even greater than in the video.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts