My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Today I changed the oil filter on the 322 for the 1st time since I bought it. When I removed the old filter, it was basically empty. It had a small amount of oil in it but it did'nt just dump out when I spun it off like I was expecting.

Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Bassically-yes. I think the system doesn't have any checks in it to prevent it flowing back down into the pump. Mine don't spill much oil out either.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model, but I think it depends on the design of the system and the filter. Some engines have a one-way check valve in the engine itself that keeps oil from draining back into the crankcase from the filter when the engine's shut off, and others call for a filter design that has the check valve in the filter itself, while others don't have a check valve in either the engine or the filter, but those designs have generally been abandoned over the years because of lubrication related engine failures.

Then again, a properly designed engine might not need oil at the filter at start-up. Look at the BMW motorcycle engines that were in use from before WWII up until the mid-80's. They didn't even have an oil pump, they had a paddle attached to the crankshaft called an "oil slinger" that merely splashed oil all over the inside of the engine, and those engines were known to go up to 200,000 miles between rebuilds if they were maintained properly otherwise.

Are you sure that you're using the correct filter? A lot of third party filters advertise themselves as cross-referencing to a number of different OEM filters even when some of the OEM's had check valves and others didn't.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I am using the JD filter-there is little oil in there when the filter is pulled

For those that aren't aware of the engine-yanmar 3 cylinder with the filter nipple on the side of the block. If the filter was full of oil-you get a mess of oil down the side of your block. On the 430 L&G tractor the filter is in the same spot but the muffler is right below it so oil dumping over it would be a bad idea. I honestly thing it was designed in since the filter is on the side like that. Not like I have heard of a yanmar engine actually wearing out. Heat is the thing that kills them most often.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nouveau *******- It was a john deere filter. I just put a wix on it though:hide: Next change interval I'll try to have a JD filter on the shelf ready.

Thought I'd add that the oil that was in the old filter was new oil, I changed the oil and put 1/10th hr on it the day before I changed the filter. So I know its getting oil to the filter atleast.

Sounds like its normal then, thanks fella's. I just wanted to double check with ya'll. I appreciate it :greendr:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts