My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing the yard a couple days ago and the engine started missing so I turned off the blades and let it idle for a few minutes. I tried again and it started missing again. I thought the fuel tank might have had something plugging the line. When I shut off the engine it seemed vary hot.

I checked the fuel line and everything seemed ok. I tried mowing again today and it started missing again after mowing for 10 minutes or so. I idled it for a minute and shut it down so it would'nt get so hot again.

Does the JD 322 have a thermostat for the cooling system? I could'nt find anything in the manual I have.

The coolant does'nt seem to leak anywhere except out of the overflow hose when it got hot a couple days ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Yes there is a thermostat. See number 4 in the drawing. All the cooling fins are clean and the screens also? Did the temp light ever come on?

Attachments

·
blinged out
1,346 Posts
when I install new stats I usually drill a hole 1/16th or slightly smaller in the plate to prevent airlocks!unless the stat already has one!

·
Super Moderator
33,701 Posts
Normally when mine gets hot I have to use a garden hose to clear the radiator not just clean the screen. I shoot it from the fan side so it blows back out the direction it came in. These really have a small radiator on them so it doesn't take much debris to get them running hot.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there is a thermostat. See number 4 in the drawing. All the cooling fins are clean and the screens also? Did the temp light ever come on?
Thanks for the drawing. I removed the t-stat and tested it, it started opening at 170*f and at 180* it was wide open.

when I install new stats I usually drill a hole 1/16th or slightly smaller in the plate to prevent airlocks!unless the stat already has one!
Good tip, I looked this t-stat and it had a hole already.

Normally when mine gets hot I have to use a garden hose to clear the radiator not just clean the screen. I shoot it from the fan side so it blows back out the direction it came in. These really have a small radiator on them so it doesn't take much debris to get them running hot.
I sprayed the rad out today after checking this thread, the rad was'nt too dirty. I'll remember to clean the rad regularly though. :)

Also I took the fuel line off the carb and turned the key on and let the gas pump into a jar. It was about 1/2 qt in 25 seconds, seems like plenty.

I left the side panels off and mowed for a while again after doing all the stuff I just mentioned. Rite when i got to the last strip of the yard it started missing again. I looked at the fuel filter and it was'nt full like it was when I started mowing. Though the pump is turning on.

Something else I might try is the fuel mix screw. I might turn it out 1/8-1/4 turn. Maybe it got lean somehow.:dunno:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple weeks ago I changed the fuel filter and it does'nt act up near as much. So I think that might have been the problem.

It still will sputter just a bit once in a while. I just stop and let it idle for a few seconds and its back to normal. There might be something getting stirred up in the carb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts