My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of service, my first tractor a 3210V bought back in the '70's seems to be ready to part out. She ran fine last summer, but after winter storage I went to start it today and nothing but a clunk. Now turning the starter pulley doesn't move the piston at all. Maybe a broken connecting rod or something. Sheet metal and other mechanical are in very good shape and the vari-drive works fine. I'm wondering if it's worth rebuilding the engine or if I'm better off replacing with a newer one. As far as a replacement goes, would anyone have any suggestions for close to stock or other alternatives that would be a relatively simple swap?

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well you gotta ask yourself................How did a connecting rod break while in storage? Have you eliminated easy stuff? Bad battery (don't just slap a charger on it sometimes batteries get bad enough they will indicate charged and still be doa), stuck rings, etc? If the rest of the tractor in good shape I would not scrap it. **** even a re-engine is worth it. Look at the HF Predator line. You might be able to make it a V Twin or look OEM. First KISS it then go after the harder stuff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Piston is definitely not moving. I'm not sure when/how it may have broke. It was running when I shut it down last summer. The other day, I wasn't smart enough to take the plug out and check to see if the piston was free. Maybe it was frozen up. Cranked on the starter then the clunk.
Starter won't engage now so maybe something shorted in the regulator.

I'll have to check in to the rebuild. That engine was good for close to 40 years with the original carb. I only ever replaced the head gasket.
There's a used single Kohler from a 7012 for sale nearby. Might check in to that also if that would be an easy swap but I'd probably be inclined to do a rebuild on that too - not knowing it's history.

I also have a 6116 that I use most often, but I still have a soft spot for my first Simplicity!

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts