My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3204, not sure of the year (Model Number 3204 14A-641-100 Serial Number 1B213G20023)
can anybody tell me the year??

to my question:...when sitting still and moving the steering wheel back and forth, my front axle which I know pivots in the middle.. now it seems like its "twisting in a rotational direction ??
turn the wheel one way it twist forward, turn the other way it comes back..has something loosened up ?..(I had a smaller CC that had two bolts on either side of the pivot to limit front to back movement).what am I looking at for repair???...any help will be welcomed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hmmm, when was the last time you greased the carrier bearing?

·
Really groovey dude.
46 Posts
Hopefully you don't have one of them sissyfied stamped metal pivot beams!

Jack up of the front end and turn the steering. If it's hard and the beam flexes you need to lube the king pins.

Grab the pivot bar and try rolling or twisting it forward, backward, and side to side. If it moves in any other direction than a see-saw motion then the pivot pin or bushing is bad.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
The 2000 Series have two adjustment bolts, one on either side of the pivot point. The 3000 Series just has that one. You adjust the center bolt/nut to alleviate most of the play. The nature of this specific design is that there will be some end play at the spindle end of the axle, but all you need to do is get the center pivot as tight as possible without binding.

And, as Gary mentioned, make sure you pay attention to the center grease fitting. It's easy to miss!

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Ray2
The frame drop downs keep the front axel pretty tight, we had to push hard to insert a nickle into the space! Check out these moments also, they might be lose.

DMAC :trink39:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DMAC......
"The frame drop downs keep the front axel pretty tight, we had to push hard to insert a nickle into the space! Check out these moments also, they might be lose."

???? are those adjustable??...what do they slide ?? front to
rear ??

thanks
ray

·
Really groovey dude.
46 Posts
What he said ^^^^^

P1040398 edit.JPG

The steering linkage will be pushing and pulling one end of the bar forwards and backwards as you steer. If your guides are worn you will have that play. Adjust them if you can or you can work up some type of shims.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:howdy:I do not know about the MTD made CC's, but on the IHC CC's you drop the axle and tighten the axle bucket by pulling the two halves back together. :smilie_fl

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dbuck.....
I cant get to my mower right now, but if those "guides" are welded to the frame ??
then you use what- like a "C" clamp to pull them together ?
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts