My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ejl in Pa.
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sandblasted and repainted my 48" deck for my newly acquired 3185. Replaced bearings and races in all 3 spindles, replaced bearings in both idler pulleys, new blades, new deck belt, new stripping roller axle and new rollers. Old stripping axle and rollers were in bad shape and was surprised replacing all 7 rollers would be $16.00 each and the axle was $84.00. Bought a 3/4 round X 48" piece of round 1080 steel for $13.00 and made my own axle and bought 3 Yates boat rollers at $8.95 each and made my own rollers. The Yates rollers were 12" long X 2.5" OD and used my band saw to get 3 rollers out of each. They were bored at 0.72 inches and I bored them out to 7/8" and installed 1" long oil embedded sleeve bearings in each end. I think my rollers will perform as well as the OEM rollers and last longer and they cost me a lot less.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hello- Really nice work, it looks too good to use! I do really like the boat roller idea, looks like they should hold up real well. I am currently tidying up my 48" deck, if I had not already purchased other rollers I would give your idea a try. BTW, what did you paint it with?

·
Ejl in Pa.
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the recommendations of someone who paints for a living from another forum. 6 parts Case/IH Irongard Power Yellow to 1 part PPG Shopeline jh6002 hardener to a half part reducer. Sprayed with a 1.3 tip. Hope that helps. Yes, the deck now looks brand new and is a drastic improvement from when I bought it.

·
MTF member
61 Posts
Looks great. I have a couple of 48" decks to redo myself.

What did you use to bore the ID of the bushings. I really like how you did them.

·
Ejl in Pa.
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TNTs CC
I just reread your post. I did not bore the bushings. I purchased them with an OD of 7/8, ID of 3/4, and 1" long. The boat trailers rollers I bored to 7/8 with a 7/8 bit with a 1/2" shank 6" long.

·
MTF member
61 Posts
They were cut to 4" long and I bought a 7/8 drill bit at Tractor supply and bored them on my drill press. I purchased the sleeve bearings from McMasters-Carr and boat trailer rollers from Easternmarine.

sleeve bearings
https://www.mcmaster.com/#sleeve-bearings/=1d7a53g

boat trailers rollers
https://www.easternmarine.com/2-1-2-x-12-yates-boat-trailer-straight-roller-12243-5
Thanks for the info and links. I might go with the flanged bushings when I do my decks.

·
Ejl in Pa.
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ray2
The bearings sleeves are press fit into the rollers. Even though the OD of the bearing was 7/8 and I bored the rollers to 7/8 the fit is still pretty tight. I tried a 13/16 bore on the rollers first and the bearings would not go in. The outer surface of the bearing is rough and not smooth and seems to grip the rubber really well. If a bearing should work loose it can't go far as the rollers are keep in place on the axles with washers and roll pin thru the axle.

TNTs cc
I considered flange bearings but decided against it. The flanges would have to be countersunk into the rollers for the center section of 5 rollers or you would end up with a space between the rollers. Flange bearings would work fine on the two end single rollers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ejl, I remember TT you about using the boat rollers quite a while back. I prefer the larger 3" diameter rollers, but the 2.5" is probably fine.

Are the boat rollers made of hard rubber or hard plastic?

If hard plastic, did you consider running without bushings, and if so, why did you opt to use bushings?

If plastic, and as cheap as they are, I would considering using them without bushings, if I could convince myself to use the smaller diameter roller.

Thanks for providing parts sources. I spend(sometimes waste) a lot of time trying to find the best deal on things and appreciate when someone "does the legwork for me"

·
Ejl in Pa.
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ejl, I remember TT you about using the boat rollers quite a while back. I prefer the larger 3" diameter rollers, but the 2.5" is probably fine.

Are the boat rollers made of hard rubber or hard plastic?

If hard plastic, did you consider running without bushings, and if so, why did you opt to use bushings?

If plastic, and as cheap as they are, I would considering using them without bushings, if I could convince myself to use the smaller diameter roller.

Thanks for providing parts sources. I spend(sometimes waste) a lot of time trying to find the best deal on things and appreciate when someone "does the legwork for me"
The rollers are hard rubber not plastics. The smaller diameter will affect the deck level and leveling but won't be an issue unless you like leaving the grass very long when cutting. I used the sleeve bearings to hopefully prevent wear on the shaft and rollers and only time will tell if it was worth the $5.00 per roller. My concern with the rollers you have chosen is the rounded edges and the 3 3/4" length. You will be losing a 1/4" with every roller you replace for a total of 1 1/4" for the center section unless you plan to re-pin the shaft. The rounded edges may not affect laying the grass down very much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts