My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting my first lawn tractor. I've had a smaller toro in the past and am looking for something heavier duty. I've decided on the 318.

I've been looking around on Craigslist and have found a couple. Is there a big difference in the B43G or P218G? The one I'm looking at has the B with 1000 hours. The seller said he bought it from a guy that had the engine overhauled about 70 hours ago.

Anyway, I am kind of looking for any input or advice on this tractor I have found before I make the purchase.

He said everything works on this tractor. He just sandblasted and reprinted it.
Here is the link:
http://rockford.craigslist.org/grd/3807575463.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No receipts. The seller repairs and paints JD's as a hobby and said the engine runs great so he didn't touch it and seemed to believe the guy about the overhaul.

What are some of the main points to look for when I go to look at it?
If the engine was overhauled how long may it last?

Thanks again for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
33,641 Posts
Check that both hydraulic spools are working. If he has any hydraulic attachments just hook up the hoses and run the lever both directions it should make the ram go in and out test both sets of ports up front. Check for leaks on the engine by running it for about 15 minutes (slow, mid-throttle and full) and then look at the pan area in the frame to see if there is any oil. Check fluid level for hydrostatic at back of GT in the line. Fluid could be cherry or amber color (ATF or Hygard respectively). Let it idle and see if it creeps neutral (probably some slop in linkage), Check that the front PTO engages and if possible while running for 15 minutes mow some grass. Engine should not have trouble with thich high grass although might hear the governor kick in. Once you've run it for 15 minutes set it just above idle and see if there is any surging (common problem on these and normally very fixable). Check for leaks at stub shaft to charge pump (where shaft from engine connects to rear) and check for leaks between charge pump and transmission (another common issue). Verify all your electrics work. I would ask the owner to pull the covers off the deck spindles too, under that cover is where the rust really forms.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well, it is pretty.
The 50" decks are among the best IF not beat to heck & the spindle bearings are OK.
Actually a number of differences between an Onan B43G & a P218G in a JD 318.
B43 = points. P series = electronic ignition. Starter motors are different,
etc., etc.
Engine overhaul means different things to different people,
ie., some replace piston rings & can refer to that as an overhaul. 1070 hrs. I'd
want to know exactly what engine repair\replace was done for that price.

With all due respect, if it sells for that much, mine ought to bring $3k easy. Heck, for another $1200.
I'd throw in a 30 tiller, 49 snowthrower, much, much more. All with low hrs. & in excellent condition.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Heck-for that price you can get a 332 that sips fuel at 1/2 the rate and lives forever.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Here is a thread some of us contributed to a while back:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=266254&highlight=

It will explain a lot of the differences in the B43 and P218. Ignition, size, etc.

It will also explain the differences of the type sellers and what to look for.

Honestly I think you have a classic case of "shiny paint" in that CL listing. Painting to some people is easy, I only paint when needed. What kind of paint job is it? John Deere paint? or Lowes Rattle can?

If the engine was rebuilt it should play the part at least 115 compression on each side (equal) with only 70 hours. There should be no gunk on the cooling fins. The bolts should all be metric or at least the same from side to side. The oil cooler should be clean. The air filter should have the oiled pre filter on it.... if that is missing walk away. The rebuild is suspect with either no receipt or any type of proof. The right connecting rod could have gone south and then the "rebuilder" stuffed a new rod and piston in there. The internals of the 318 in the video below are included in this thread.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=253113&highlight=

To be frank. anything can be painted green and look good. The devil is in the details. The decals are missing off the mule drive and the deck. If the owner did not want to spend the $40 on decals what else is missing? It does pass the KATT test with the emblem. The deck wheels are worn.

I sold this one for $1,900 and it was in great shape. 850 hours on a very well cared for replacement engine. 110 compression L and R no oil use not a single leak etc etc new deck bearings and anything that need to be replaced was replaced. Did I paint it no, I did get suckered into buying it from a guy that did...... it was pretty on the outside.... mechnical mess on the inside!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Engine overhaul means different things to different people
Exacty :thThumbsU

I've heard people refer to an 'overhaul' & they're just meaning change the spark plugs, engine oil & oil filter, & air filter. Meanwhile overs say 'overhaul' & they're meaning the engine was rebuilt with cylinder boring, honing, pistons, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts