My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem - fixed several oil leaks including oil pan and loose starter bolts. Every thing is back together and completing the wiring hookup of the starter. ( unable to post pics, so written description, please bear with me). When first wiring the starter, put the battery (big red wire) wire on the same stud and the flat copper braid wire (like a ground wire) and the small red wire from the starter improvement. Battery (-, negative post) negative wire connected to right side lifting lug. At starter, the (top) stud with braided flat wire also connected the small 12 or 14 gauge red wire from the starter improvement to the top stud. The purple wire from the starter improv connected to the flat blade. The black wire from the starter improv was connected to the bottom stud of starter. Tried to connect the big red wire to the battery, sparks fly, starter spins, no key in switch - did not fire!!!!!!. Pull engine , again, . Find wire diagram of starter test procedure. Black (ground) wire connectes to top stud ( flat brad wire), red wire connects to bottom stud. starter improv purple connects to flat blade. So i connect wires per this diagram. Connect battery neg (black) wire to neg battery post. Connect red wire to positive post, no sparks!!!! put key in start switch and turn, Nothing. Does any one have a good picture of the wiring at the starter and the starter improve kit. I cannot figure out the photo posting in the "post thread"

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check your fuses, there is a 3 amp and 20 amp behind the battery. Make sure your pto switch is off. I have a 20 amp fuse on the red line from the starter to the positive side. I use a multimeter to check fuses cause sometimes it's hard to see a blown one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update #2, I'm thinking that I fried the starter?? I had both red wires (main from the battery and the small red from the starter improvement) on the "M" terminal. When I started to put red main on the battery , it caused a spark and the starter to spin. Nothing on the solenoid is marked "+" or (-) since then nothing from the starter. I have since move the red wires to the "B" terminal on the solenoid, as shown by the diagram on page 60-14 of CTM2 (19APR90). The black ground wire I have attached to the engine block mounting foot, not the starter mounting bolt.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Three of my friends
8,695 Posts
Doesn’t make any difference which post you use on the selonoid,is your selonoid separate from the starter.
heres a diagram,is it like your hookup.

Attachments

·
Three of my friends
8,695 Posts
look at this post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts