My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like my x485 because of it's ergonomics, clean and very smooth engine and the availabilty of implements for it

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I think a better criteria in your question would have been if cost were no factor.
Each of the 3 you list was the top of its class at the time.

If age were no factor but cost were, then the 318.

If cost were no factor the x-series then.

If both cost and age were factors, the 445 would be my pick.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All three are great machines, best in class in their own time. I have bot 318 & 445 and love both machines. Foot operated hydro is a definate plus for FEL, but for mowing, I actually prefer the dash operated hydro on the 318. Older the machine, more time with a wrench in you hand, not that I mind.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No split brakes on the 445 as well. Just getting used to them on the 318 and find them quite usefull blowing snow.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
One thing the x485 lacks as well as my x700 and I wish it had was split brakes. I like the other machines just fine but I'd pick the x485.
No split brakes on the 445 as well. Just getting used to them on the 318 and find them quite usefull blowing snow.
Split brakes are handy for sure, but don't both of you have locking differentials? I do agree the split brakes are great for decreasing the turn radius when necessary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Split brakes are handy for sure, but don't both of you have locking differentials? I do agree the split brakes are great for decreasing the turn radius when necessary.
Yes on my 445 FEL machine. As you stated, split brakes really helps with sharp turns on 318 with blower as front wheels tend to plow thru turns with weight of the #49 on front.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did not think of that, NHgreenguy. But I'll remember to try that with my new cab and new 49 blower IF WE GET ANY STINKING SNOW THIS YEAR. :ROF
Still learning to use the split brakes, just 1 year under my belt with the 318. It's pretty easy to get yourself in tight quarters with the #49 up front. Was able to use the split brakes to turn out of trouble (still neede the 445 and a chain for the real difficult spots)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think a better criteria in your question would have been if cost were no factor.
Each of the 3 you list was the top of its class at the time.

If age were no factor but cost were, then the 318.

If cost were no factor the x-series then.

If both cost and age were factors, the 445 would be my pick.
I couldn't agree more with you. All are nice tractors, but the 445 and x485 are both very similar.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,106 Posts
I was very fortunate to have owned a 318 new, which I then traded for a 445 new, and after 14 years, I traded it for a new x728. I have seen the best of JD LT/GT over this 20 year period. Each was a tremendous step up from the prior, and each in its time were simple the best tractor I could afford.
With that experience, I just don't know how to answer your question. I liked the 318 hand hydro lever, but when plowing snow I often had a hand full of work when feathering the blade up a little to push the edges back onto the lawn while also feathering the speed. The split brakes were occassionally useful, but I wouldn't say I missed them when I moved up to the 445 with pedal hydro and locking diff. I thought I owned the ultimate grounds keeping machine for the 14 years I mowed, seeded, plowed, pulled with the 445. And now, the addition of full time 4wd, HDAP tires, even simple things like back-up and rear work lights make the x728 a pleasure. I never see any of my tractor aided chores as a pain. Rather, I enjoy them, and enjoy finding ways to make my chores "tractor aided".

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I should give my input, even though I have never sat on a single one of these before!:crybaby:

IMHO, the 318 looks like fun but trying to use hydraulics and adjust speed and steer all with your hands could get a little difficult...

The 445 from my point of view having never seen one up close except for youtube, they look like very nice tractors, but I have heard a lot of negatives about the old style twin-touch pedals with the small reverse pedal. and also the deck lift height doesn't get very far off the ground at its highest point.

The x485 is probably my favorite. Everything seems like it just works. I also like how John Deere hasn't altered the physical model of these tractors to date. So if I wanted to buy a brand new Curtis cab, or a new quick hitch blade. Its a pretty smart idea if you ask me!

There's my little review.

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the 318 but why are we comparing a 300 series with 2 400 series but wouldnt it be more comparable to compare a 420 445 and x485
I see what you are saying. I picked those 3 because they are my favorite tractors from their heyday. and also, when I upgrade, if I upgrade, these are pretty much my choices that I narrowed it down to. If I could have all three, I would!

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Well I'm biased Just Because I have One

Had a JD 425 Before the above Pictured Tractor with a similar setup :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I Just sold my last 318 I had 2 of them . now none Still have 3 425 s . As stated in prior posts They were tops in there time. I have been Looking at the X 740. I was just a bit concerned . About going to diesel On just one machine. .. I wonder what would happen If my wife/or me puts the wrong fuel in it;; What is the damage ?? Time Dollers ??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.