My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can buy tail lights for a 318. I know John Deere can order them and evil bay has them for about $70 for the set. I haven't checked pricing from John Deere but evil bay price of $70 bucks seems a little steep to me.

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
enzminger, I have a second seat pan and I'm considering putting it to work and I'll be needing a set for it too. If I find a good source I'll PM you, if you find one PM me!

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will let you know if a find anything. I will call John Deere to see what they want just out of curiosity. I do know I will not spend $70. I will find a set of LED's if that's what original equipment will cost.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
Please post here when you get a price from JD or when you find something aftermarket. I'm in need of some as well.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
Thanks! Might order a set, I don't need the 2nd pan to look that good. I'm setting it up for the cab and it'll only be on for the winter months!

·
Banned
587 Posts
I may be all wet here, but, when you install LED lights to a regular 12 volts system and turn on the switch the 12 volts will blow the LED's in a flash of a second. You have to have resisters somewhere in between. Correct?

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
when you install LED lights to a regular 12 volts system and turn on the switch the 12 volts will blow the LED's in a flash of a second. You have to have resisters somewhere in between.
If this is true, it is a new one on me.

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If that is true, you would think whatever is needed would be supplied (resistors??). I know guys that have put LED's on tractors and they never said anything about it.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I may be all wet here, but, when you install LED lights to a regular 12 volts system and turn on the switch the 12 volts will blow the LED's in a flash of a second. You have to have resisters somewhere in between. Correct?
As long as they are designed for a 12volt system there should be no problem at all.You can buy 12volt LED clearance lights most anywhere trailer lighting is sold

·
Banned
587 Posts
I tried the LED's and they blew in a split second... Read below on why. The 12 volts system on a lawn/garden tractor probably is not setup for LED lights.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/LED.htm

LED lights are fast becoming the light source of choice in many applications. There are good reasons for this. LED lights consume about 10th the power of a standard comparable light bulb making them much more efficient. LEDs also last much longer than standard light bulbs at approximately 100,000 hours. Recent advances have produced high light output LED lights that make them more desirable as a light source over the previous generation of LEDs that most people are used to seeing. Also LED manufacturing has produced mass quantities of LEDs at a very small cost per LED making LED much more affordable.

In the vehicle the LED (light emitting diode) is commonly used as an indicator for alerting you if a circuit is powered on. However you can't simply plug an LED into your 12 volt power supply in your vehicle and expect it to work. The common LED requires only 2 volts to work so the power supplying your LED needs to be reduced from 12 volts down to 2 volts. That is accomplished by using a resistor. Note: typical LEDs require 2V for each LED however some require 4V such as for blue and white LEDs.

In the diagram to the right, the "R" is a 470 or 560 ohm resistor, either will work for the common LED requiring 2 volts. You will need to acquire one resistor per LED. Resistors can usually be purchased in the same electronics stores as the LEDs themselves.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I tried the LED's and they blew in a split second... Read below on why. The 12 volts system on a lawn/garden tractor probably is not setup for LED lights.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/LED.htm

LED lights are fast becoming the light source of choice in many applications. There are good reasons for this. LED lights consume about 10th the power of a standard comparable light bulb making them much more efficient. LEDs also last much longer than standard light bulbs at approximately 100,000 hours. Recent advances have produced high light output LED lights that make them more desirable as a light source over the previous generation of LEDs that most people are used to seeing. Also LED manufacturing has produced mass quantities of LEDs at a very small cost per LED making LED much more affordable.

In the vehicle the LED (light emitting diode) is commonly used as an indicator for alerting you if a circuit is powered on. However you can't simply plug an LED into your 12 volt power supply in your vehicle and expect it to work. The common LED requires only 2 volts to work so the power supplying your LED needs to be reduced from 12 volts down to 2 volts. That is accomplished by using a resistor. Note: typical LEDs require 2V for each LED however some require 4V such as for blue and white LEDs.

In the diagram to the right, the "R" is a 470 or 560 ohm resistor, either will work for the common LED requiring 2 volts. You will need to acquire one resistor per LED. Resistors can usually be purchased in the same electronics stores as the LEDs themselves.
I think you're confusing a single LED for a cluster light, the only time a resistor is needed outside of the light unit is when you have a flasher unit (i.e.turn signals) because of low load, then you add one to give the lights the proper flash rate or use an electronic flasher relay.

Almost all LED lite units have built in resistors and are a direct wire in.

As long as it's 12 VDC it will work fine.

Attachments

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
great link FD611V! lot's of good stuff there!:fing32:

I recently replaced the lights on my trailer with LED's and it was a direct swap.But as I said earlier they are designed for a 12volt system.

I would think they would be the way to go on a GT due to their very low amp draw.

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
I'm already running LED's for my headlights and taillights on my 318. No problems with them this last winter and the headlights were an improvement over the stock JD light bulbs (not exactly hard to do!).

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked with my local Jd dealer on pricing for original tail lights. It is $9 for each red tail light. The metal retainers are $20.00 each. The bezels are $10 each. So, roughly $78 total. Ouch.............

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
I was in a truckstop today and checked out the selection of LED's in there, price was about double what you found them for!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts