My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 318 back in the spring that had just about 600 hours on it and was in really good shape cosmetically. I wanted to perform some maintenance on it and thought I would also do the valve clearance check since I doubt it was never performed. So, I bought gaskets, etc and new filters, and oil.

I also removed the heads to scrape the carbon buildup off of the piston tops and heads. Also removed the oil filter adapter housing to replace that gasket as well.

Before I disassembled anything, I checked compression. Both sides had ~125 psi. When I got the heads off, I was happy to see there wasn't a lot of carbon. There was some, but not excessive in my opinion. Cross hatching in the cylinders is there. The left side had a score on the wall that I could catch my fingernail, but because both cylinders had good (and nearly equal) compression, I am not too worried about it.

I removed all the valves and those looked ok. Again, a little carbon build up, but nothing excessive. Popped the tappets out, and checked the cam wear patterns... they were looking good. Cleaned everything up and went for the reassembly. Installed new intake valve stem seals, the old ones were in need of replacement (brittle). Cleaned up the valves and installed them. Interestingly, upon reassembly, the valve clearances were within about .001 or .002 of spec. So no major adjustment needed there... I did make them exact on the spec though. Cleaned up all the hardware, replaced gaskets, and installed the heads. Checked compression again, and it was ~125 again on both sides. So, I didn't screw anything up!!! LOL!!!

Made sure it had oil pressure before I connected the spark plug wires. Good there. Gave it a little choke and it fired right up!!! Sputtered a little from having an empty carb and away we go!!! Purrs like a kitten. Got it nice and hot and drained the oil and changed the filter. Re-torqued the cylinder heads, and now we are ready to roll. Just a bump of the starter and it is running.

Now to the pics...

Left Head Before:

Left Head After:

Right Head Before:

Right Head After:

Left Cyl Before:

Left Cyl After:

Right Cyl Before:

Right Cyl After:

Valve Train:

All Assembled:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
nice work.

just a lot of fun to get them like new again... (as long as you are not doing it for a living that is) :thThumbsU

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
Looks great! You have a real nice tractor there.

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,420 Posts
Great looking tractor and nice job on the cleaning!!!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it. It ought to run for a very long time now that you know what shape it's in. Peace of mind. slkpk

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Clearly deserves it's grill emblem. Very nice job. Thanks for the pics.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That's in very nice shape, and it sounds like you are going to keep it that way for years to come.

I really enjoyed the photos of the cylinder head and valve cleanup. Thanks for sharing.

·
Cityboy
609 Posts
I wish mine was as nice as yours. I have about 2000 hrs on her and she uses a little oil, and only has about 90 psi of compression but still runs. I have notest that if you let her sit for a couple of week she's hard to get started. (no fuel) I have to put some fuel in the carb. or spray a little starter fluid in it to get it running. After that she starts right up. Any idea what the problem might be? I'm thinking fuel pump but not for sure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I searched for a few months before I found this gem. It is 23 years old (1987 model) and I plan on keeping it another 23 years.

I just picked up a 54" 2-way hyd blade for it last weekend. Purchased from the same seller whom I bought the tractor. The gentleman didn't want to sell the blade back when I bought the tractor as he had another 318 (Honda 24 hp repower) and 2 345's that he was planning to use it on. Since then he has decided to sell everything and get a ZTR. So, I picked up the blade. Pics to come later. It is in comparable condition to this tractor.

FYI. I trashed the original paper air filter for a K&N filter, part no. E-4425. It fits perfectly. I kept the foam prefilter too.

Cheers!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts