My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought this tractor a couple months ago, it started up right away and ran great, i used it at home and it ran great. it sat a couple weeks i went to start it the battery was weak so it only turned over slowly for about 2 revs. so i turned key off and left it. i took the battery charger out a week later to boost it, as soon as i hooked up the booster i heard a pop! so after much review im stumped. when i hook battery up i hear starter (or something in that area) humming, so im gonna order a new starter cylenoid now and see if that helps. im just wondering if anyone else has had issue like this.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
fire
when you state that you have a 318 j.d. you should state
which engine you have.
B43G, has point ignition, NO solenoid on the starter.
P 218 has electronic ignition and has the solenoid on the starter.
this will help us help you.
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fire
when you state that you have a 318 j.d. you should state
which engine you have.
B43G, has point ignition, NO solenoid on the starter.
P 218 has electronic ignition and has the solenoid on the starter.
this will help us help you.
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )
ok sorry, but the solenoid is under the battery, is there one on the starter also? i really thought it was the switch but i was wrong. ill check motor tomm and verify, i think its the P 218 though.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Have you checked the fuses? Try borrowing the battery from something else and see if it starts. I have had a couple of batteries just up and croak on me...

What year is your 318? That will also help ID the engine. After 1987 it should be the P218, before it should be the B43G.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not the battery, all the fuses are fine, it seems to be sending power to starter without turning the key. ??

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Pull the small wire off the solenoid solenoid and see if the humming stops,that wire is what triggers the solenoid.The pop may have been the circuit breaker?or it may have fried the time delay module.Without the small wire on the solenoid try jumping over the 2 posts and see if the starter will energize,jumping over the 2 post is like taking the solenoid out of the equation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the small wire off the solenoid solenoid and see if the humming stops,that wire is what triggers the solenoid.The pop may have been the circuit breaker?or it may have fried the time delay module.Without the small wire on the solenoid try jumping over the 2 posts and see if the starter will energize,jumping over the 2 post is like taking the solenoid out of the equation.
"time delay module" wheres that? ill try that , thanks !

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
It's the black square box behind the battery but I don"t think you can check it,there may be way to check it in the JD Manual,it actually keeps the engine from dying if you bounce off the seat while mowing.It is a safety thing JD put on these.Just hope it's not that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
installed new cylinoid and it still does same thing. humming from the starter all the time. i cant see the starter how hard is that to remove and inspect? it doesnt look easy.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
About the best way to remove the starter is to take the engine out. Its not terrible complicated. Take your time and take pictures. There is a sticky about 318 engine removal that should help some :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Easiest to pull the engine to get to the started like noted above. I had my 318 a week and had to do, never had touched a John Deere prior. It is not difficult and takes less than 3 hours.

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Get it rebuilt.Dont buy one from ebay they come from china and just dont last.Any starter place can do it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
But the starter should not have juice going to it as soon as you hook up the battery. Granted, I'm kind of new to small engines, but I've been working on cars for a long time and I really don't think you have a starter issue. I think you may have a short somewhere. Use a VOM and see if you've got voltage to the starter with the key off.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
a $25.00 vom or $6.00 test light
will give you money back better than investing in john deer
for unneeded parts

john

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Get it rebuilt.Dont buy one from ebay they come from china and just dont last.Any starter place can do it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
a $25.00 vom or $6.00 test light
will give you money back better than investing in john deer
for unneeded parts

john
I thought everybody had these things . lol . :sidelaugh
Seriously though , these two things should be in EVERY garage or tool box . They come in handy for so many troubleshooting issues . A good meter is worth it's weight in gold when one wants to do some troubleshooting and not having one . I keep one in my garage , my house AND in my truck . You just never know when one might come in handy .
Frank

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is there supposed to be power going to starter all times? theres i a small wire on the sylenoid post that goes to a relay and that wire goes back into the wire loom. if i disconect that wire there is no more humming coming from starter. i have all and just about any meter needed to check power, i have been doing that, the ignition switch was crappy anyway, and the silenoid is no big purchase.

so my question is does the starter have juice going to it all the time? if not then my problem isnt the starter, i can get it to turn over when jumping silenoid, but theres no spark when i do that, and yes the key is on.

thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts