My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JD 318 shuts down after a few minutes of operation as if I turned the ignition switch off. It will, pretty much, start back up again, but will shut down again in a few minutes. Does anyone have any idea why this occurs?

·
Super Moderator
29,013 Posts
Jrvesey, welcome to MTF! Any problems with it leading up to this? Fuel level in tank good? When was last time it was run? Switch set to main tank or Reserve? Is your battery light showing when it dies? Sounds like a fuel delivery issue and that could be the pump not working, clogged lines, fuel pickups in tank clogging, or some other issues. Answer these questions and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I had a small mower with the same issue. It was only about a year old. Would start OK, mow for about 5 or 10 minutes then sputter, and die. Let it sit for 5 minutes and it would restart and repeat.

I pulled the bowl on the carb and found that there was water that had turned into a clear, semi jelly like stuff that would sit low enough on start up that it allowed enough gas to get to the jet, but then, with some moving around, turning etc., some of it would get pulled into the jet and the engine would die.

Just my one experience that sounded something like yours. Mine was an easy fix 5 years ago and it runs fine still. Hope yours is just as easily fixed.

Good luck and let us know if you find out whats causing it and how it gets corrected.

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
Does it sputter or just die? 2 things could be the problem. Lack of fuel and a bad coil. The fuel stuff has been talked about. IF a coil goes bad it will not give spark once it gets hot. Fuel will sputter, coil will miss and die quickly.

Just a thought

·
4,251 Posts
Does it sputter or just die? 2 things could be the problem. Lack of fuel and a bad coil. The fuel stuff has been talked about. IF a coil goes bad it will not give spark once it gets hot. Fuel will sputter, coil will miss and die quickly.

Just a thought
Mopar..I was thinking that too...but he says it starts right back up.... a hot coil usually is described as taking 20 minutes to half hour to cool off enough to start again

·
Three of my friends
8,761 Posts
The vacuum fuel pump may be going out

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,811 Posts
If all the other things mentioned check out, then check the connections (pinch versus eyelet/nuts) on the auto reset circuit breaker and the circuit breaker (age/internal corrosion) itself. If that all checks then check the ignition module down under fly wheel (p series Onans). The TM is TM1590 it has all the test procedures.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I've had two instances of that in two different brands of mowers. One was a Cub Cadet that would run for about 5 minutes and then stop. It turned out to be a partially blocked fuel jet in the float valve. It would use up all of the fuel in the bowl and then stop. Once it refilled it would then run for another five minutes. The second mower was a 318 and it had a layer of old solidified varnish in the tank and as the fuel got sucked up into the inlet it would gradually suck the varnish sheet over the inlet and shut the fuel flow off. One way to tell right away if it is fuel related is to pour a little gas into the carb as soon as it won't start. If it starts right up then it is fuel related not electrical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts