My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to start restoration process this week on my 318.I have been using it and kept finding things to keep it to busy for a face lift.I will take pictures of the process and will put them up right here as things begin to happen.I recieved a few parts I ordered and a decal kit.My son is a professinal body man and is going to do most of prep work and painting.I will be doing the tare down.Hood,Grill,Sidepanels and Seat pan removal.I will clean the frame and engine and drive line.I think I can handle the frame painting Flat Black portion.

I did not get a operators manual and have been trying to get one on ebay.But they seem to bring a big price and not sure if I need to spend $40.00 and up.Is there away to download the information I want?Like hydro fluid and filter change?Things I need to know with out all the stuff I already know like saftey issues.I have not looked real hard but with the decal kit.There is a sticker showing where the hydro free wheel lever is.But I have not found that on mine.I will be needing to free wheel it around so any hints where to look?Im sure when I start cleaning I will find it but maybe a hint is needed?Any tips tricks hints information about the 318 and restoration idea would be appreciated and stay tuned for updates on my project.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
When I did my 110 I found out it takes longer than expected and some things cost more and others cost less. The total cost of my restoration was about what I figured it would be. I tried to save a little time and money and then ended up tearing back down what I had put back together. Don't skimp and do it right the first time. Good luck and I know a lot of us will be following your restoration. slkpk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good luck with the restore. I plan on tearing my 318 down this winter for a restore, so i'll be following along closely :bannana:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Looking forward to the pics of the restore, johndeere.

If you buy your manuals off Ebay, be sure you get the correct part number. Don't make my mistake and blow $100 on a set of outdated manuals.

JD sells them on either CD or in print, and the prices aren't too far off what Ebay has them for.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
The freewheel lever is accessible from the right rear, next to the rear wheel. Don't be suprised if it is not working even if the lever seems to move forward. They tend to freeze up on older machines, or when they are never used. You will be able to see it as soon as you pull the rear fendr pan off. The lever pushes down on a valve located on top of the trans. Spray the ball bearing with some WD40, or other penatrating oil.

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Looking forward to the pics of the restore, johndeere.

If you buy your manuals off Ebay, be sure you get the correct part number. Don't make my mistake and blow $100 on a set of outdated manuals.

JD sells them on either CD or in print, and the prices aren't too far off what Ebay has them for.
Drake, what is the correct part number for the most up to date paper service manual for our 318's?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 1 of restoration.Changed the engine oil and then removed the tin work and hood for future preperation.Then pressure washed the tractor wow was there a lot of gunk.Gave the black frame its first light coat of Black medium John Deere paint.This is the only part that will be painted with a rattle can.Most does not show anyway.I have more parts ordered and the price of this restoration is climbing.

Will be a few days now before I can find spare time to continue.Hopefully I will find time to shop for some sanding aids and I might even try to find some sand and try out a sandblaster I picked up awhile back at an auction.Might be just what the fender pan needs?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and a few more.I plan to replace the mule drive cover at some point its bent up and looks bad.Remember I will probably not do much with this deck its in sad shape.So the tractor will be done up with a crappy old deck for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
:fing32: Kudos to you!! All the best of luck during the resto!!!

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hi johndeere ,

Did you just get this Tractor or have you had it for some time ??? Either way
it's in great shape in it's present condition , thanks for the pictures !!! Keep
us informed on your progress ...

Later,x595

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Drake, what is the correct part number for the most up to date paper service manual for our 318's?
If ordered from Deere, they will match the manual to your serial number, which is what you want. With a 10 year production run, the 318 did see several fairly minor changes in design that can make you scratch your head if your manual doen't match up. So getting the latest newest most up to date manual would not be great if you own an early 1982 or '83 tractor.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Good point bontai_Joe. I am a believer in ordering from JD for that reason.

Here's my Ebay experience.

Didn't ask any of the more experienced guys here about the best places to get a manual. Mistake 1.

I went on Ebay and found a set, thinking JD probably didn't even have manuals available for a 22 year old tractor. Mistake #2.

Found a "complete" set for less than $100, which is a good bit less than they would have cost had I known to order them from Deere. Seller said for sn xxxxxx and higher. Ok, fine, my serial # is higher, let me have them. Can't really blame the seller for me not knowing there are several revs to the 318 manual. Mistake #3.

Was trying to help a guy adjust out his creep, and gave him the very involved procedure in my service manual. Another member said that was not the easy way to do it and to look at page xx-xxx-xx in my manual. Told him I didn't have that section. He told me I had the wrong manual. This same guy has made me feel pretty silly a few times, but he's not malevolent, and I have learned a ton from him.

Called JD and they asked for my serial number and the part number of my current manual. Said they didin't have any such manual even listed, but it may be one of the very old ones (now oddly enough it did cover electronic ignition models). Ordered the right ones and have now idea what to do with my oldies.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi johndeere ,

Did you just get this Tractor or have you had it for some time ??? Either way
it's in great shape in it's present condition , thanks for the pictures !!! Keep
us informed on your progress ...

Later,x595
I picked it up about a week and a half ago.I decided I wanted a work horse around and a project tractor to keep me out of trouble.I had been looking for a long time and found this one.Problem is its not keeping me out of trouble.My wife has been noticing the checks I have been writing for restoration parts.Plus now im looking at a second storage shed because im filled up and need more room.Im thinking I need to make that shed bigger to hold a few more that im looking at.I think I have caught the fever:sidelaugh

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts