My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 John Deere 318 and we had the seal on the rear PTO start leaking. We replaced it today and wondered why the rear PTO was always spinning. If it didn't spin, we don't think it would leak. I am assuming that the rear PTO is for some kind of implement that you would hook up to the back of the tractor like a tiller or something. Is the blank rear PTO switch space used for this rear PTO? Is there a wire I can just pull to disable it from turning? If the rear PTO blank is used for turning the rear PTO on or off, I would like to do it that way in order to have it more original rather than just unplugging a wire. Does it really need to spin all the time? If it spins all the time, we think it would cause the seal to go out sooner. Ideas? What do you guys think?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I thought that little stub shaft on the rear of my 318 was the PTO also. Honest mistake.

That shaft does spin all the time, and there is an electric PTO which connects to it, and goes to either the gearbox or pulley depending on which attachment you would be configured for.

My 318 is 4 years older than yours and hasn't sprung a leak yet (knock on wood).

The telltale sign that you don't have the full up PTO is the lack of the rear PTO switch on your dash.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, can the shaft be turned off so that it does not spin all the time?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts