My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! I just got my first real lawn tractor last week. It's a 1990 JD 318. 50" deck, 1495 hours, with a rebuild done at 1200. Everything on it works well. A little smoke on startup, but nothing major. I would like it if you guys could confirm my feeling that I need to clean the carb. Or maybe you have some other ideas. The problem is rpm surging unless the choke is open just the right amount. If the choke's in, the rpms go up and down at a regular rate. Doesn't matter where the throttle's set, or if it's under a load, it just keeps going up and down (surging). With the choke out, it evens out and runs pretty good, but smells pretty lean. Is running it like this bad for it? I will take the carb off soon and have it cleaned. I ran some seafoam through the carb and also put some in the gas. But it's still doing it. Thanks. http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/smilies/thanku.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.